The blog world is filled with the infamous mug cakes or microwave muffins and I must admit, they are incredibly quick, tasty and provide an amazing protein boost. Often, my breakfasts incorporate abit of protein powder (mixed into yogurt or oatmeal) and before bed, I always have a scoop of casein with some nuts. The rest of the day, I am to keep my food choices based around whole foods. I tried experimenting with various concoctions in my microwave to see if I could recreate a protein mug cake, minus the use of protein powder or any sweeteners. After some epic failures, I think I have come up with a basic recipe which resembles a mug cake in both taste and texture, without being dry. The bonus- all in under 3.5 minutes! Success!
Revamped recipe- Can be found here.
Grain free Protein Powderless Muffin/Microwave English muffin
- 2 Tbs peanut flour (15 grams)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbs canned unsweetened pumpkin
- 2 large egg whites
- Stevia (Optional)
- Spray a microwave safe cereal bowl with cooking spray and add the peanut flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Add the canned pumpkin and 2 egg whites and mix VERY well until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the cinnamon and put into the microwave for 2-4 minutes, depending on the power. I put it for approximately 3 minutes (I use a 850watt microwave), but watch it and ensure it puffs up and is fully cooked. Overcooking it will result in a more drier texture.
- Allow cool, slice in half, and top with cheese/nut butter or eat it as itself.
- I usually omit the stevia as I like the peanut flavour of it, and often top it with savoury toppings like cheese (as pictured) or pesto. However, if you like a sweeter muffin, add the stevia and top with a nut butter for a filling, clean snack!
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld