Good morning chickens. Sorry- there’s this really annoying radio host here who always opens up his segments saying that. Please don’t be annoyed.
Before we get into today’s eats and recipe, I just wanted to say thank you so much for the feedback on Monday’s post regarding a new weekly link up dedicated to our quirks, interests etc OUTSIDE of the health, fitness and food realm. I had many great suggestions and really stoked that many of you would be on board! I’ll start getting the wheels into motion and discuss more on Friday!
Back to today’s post- Please excuse the randomness of the meals! It was during one of my exam days and by neglecting decent food prep in honour of procrasti-experimenting resulted in throwing bits and pieces together. Ah well, it worked and tasted good which is most important! Thank You, Jen for hosting- check out some other tip top tucker there!
Lunch- Mother dearest decided to bombard me with fresh product because she said sardines and walnuts cannot make up a balanced exam diet. Yes, Ma’am. Raw carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, fake crab, cheddar cheese cubes and two mini larabars.
Snack-Still digging the flatbread loving. Pictured is the Cinnamon Raisin version.
Dinner- Parmesan chicken patties, roasted potatoes and cauliflower. If its not baked tofu or curried tuna patties, this is my other fall back meal (when Brinner isn’t an option!) Let me know if you’d like the recipe- its super simple and amazing!
Onto today’s recipe- There have been an abundance of recipes lately which involve the incredibly versatile chickpea. Unfortunately, chickpeas (and other legumes) have been a source of discomfort to eat for the past year or so. Besides the odd occasion of hummus eating, any form of beans have been nonexistent in my diet.
Over the weekend, I decided to try slowly introducing them and seeing how my stomach felt over the next few days. Instead of eating them as it is, I wanted to try and see if I could recreate a snack type appetiser I often would have at my friends house- a chickpea fritter. Not having the typical ingredients on hand (chickpea flour, ricotta cheese, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds) I tried making my version with whatever similar products I had on hand! After some failures and a burning my eye (DON’T touch jalepeno peppers then touch your eye…smart cookie here) I finally found success- and came up with something nothing short of #strangebutgood.
The best part- Eating 3 of them in one sitting left me without any discomfort! Definitely glad to have legumes back in my life and slowly make it part of my day to day diet! Thank you Laura for honouring our weirdness!
Spicy Sunbutter Chickpea Bites
Makes- 10 bites
- 1 can chickpeas, drained (400 gram can)
- 1 green pepper, chopped finely
- 1/2 onion, chopped finely
- 1 T minced garlic
- 2 + jalapeno peppers, chopped finely
- 3 T natural sunbutter (can sub for peanut butter)
- 3 T oat flour, separated
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 T red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork until no full beans remain. Add the chopped green pepper, onion, jalapeno peppers and minced garlic. Add the cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and 1 T of oat flour until fully combined. Slowly stir the sunbutter through the mixture.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into 10 equal sized balls. Roll each ball in the 2 T of oat flour and put aside.
- Heat a frying pan and coat with oil. Once completely heated, add 5 chickpea bites and cook for 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Cook the remaining bites in the same way.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool then freeze for quick snacks or meals during the week!
And with that, ends another round of recent eats. Speaking of Sunbutter, I think Monday’s going to be a pretttty good day for you 😉
Are you a fan of the ‘fake’ crab meat? I’ve loved it ever since I first tried it in sushi as a kid- Although I’d take real crab ANYDAY.
How do you handle legumes? Can you eat regularly servings of them?
Have you ever touched chilli or peppers then touched your eye? WORST. EVER.
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld