Spruce up your salads this Spring and Summer with this pasta salad based off gnocchi! Marry Italy and Spain together for this delicious, healthy and gluten free Spanish Gnocchi salad which is perfect eaten hot or cold and takes minutes to whip up- A flavour explosion!
When I told my friends I was craving gnocchi, chorizo and pesto– they thought it was a funny twist on two top nations of the world cup. Yes….That would be the right. Says the guy who thought the best thing about the 2010 World Cup was a Vuvuzela.
No thank you. I would prefer some epic slumber than staying up until 4am to watch Australia play soccer or for Brazil to show on repeat, a sad, teary old man. Enough about the Olympics. I mean Soccer. I mean World Cup. I mean sport.
I love gnocchi. I am ashamed to admit it, but until my teenage years, I thought it was merely pasta which looked like slugs and was ‘meatier’. How amazed I was to know it was actually potato based. Not that I’m a potato fan or anything….
Seeing as it’s Summer in the northern hemisphere, I’ve been seeing salads galore. SALADS GALORE. Way to make a dude feel left out. Not anymore. There are two salads which are my favourite come Summertime- Pasta salad and Potato Salad. Give me bowlfuls of those and I’d happily suffer the Melbourne heatwaves and intermittent thunderstorms.
What to do when you crave those salads? Make them both…with twists. The potato one will be coming up soon, but today, it’s all about the pasta. Sorry, the gnocchi.
A classic pasta salad uses mayonnaise and pasta and that is delicious. Want something more delicious? Switch out the mayonnaise for pesto and sub the pasta for gnocchi. You’re welcome. To cross cultures, add some Spanish spice favourites like paprika and garlic and chuck in some stuffed olives. The icing on the…pasta? Chorizo. Lot’s of sliced chorizo. While Gnocchi may be Italian it’s ALL about the Spanish in this dish. This is my kind of world cup. Food style.
Spanish Gnocchi Salad
- Spanish Gnocchi Salad2014-08-30 03:28:26Spruce up your salads this Spring and Summer with this pasta salad based off gnocchi! Marry Italy and Spain together for this delicious, healthy and gluten free Spanish Gnocchi salad which is perfect eaten hot or cold and takes minutes to whip up- A flavour explosion!Write a reviewIngredients
- 1 package of gluten free gnocchi (500 grams)
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomato pesto
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 T olive oil
- 1-2 links of mild chorizo sausage, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Spanish stuffed olives
- Olive oil
- Cook the gnocchi as per directions until al dente. Drain to remove all water completely and set aside to cool.
- Generously coat a frying pan with olive oil and once hot, heat the minced garlic and after 2 minutes, add the sliced chorizo and set aside once cooked.
- In a large small mixing bowl, combine the sun dried tomato pesto, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, rosemary and olive oil. Mix until fully incorporated.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the gnocchi and chorizo. Add in the spanish stuffed olives. Slowly stir through the pesto mix and ensure it is mixed evenly throughout.
- Refrigerate salad for at least four hours to allow flavours to marinate or overnight.
The Big Man's World http://thebigmansworld.com/
- This dish tastes perfectly fine eaten warm but eating it cold really brings out the Spanish flavours- leftovers work great with it too.
What is your favourite Summer style salad?
Do you reckon this dish is more Italian or more Spanish?
Did you watch the world cup? Do you want a Vuvuzela?
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld