The taste and texture of a classic cinnamon bun in a healthy oatmeal form- This comforting bowl of goodness if gluten free, vegan, sugar free, chock full of protein and a sinfully nutritious start to the day- Just like dessert for breakfast!
Cinnamon raisin toast.
It’s like the food version of coffee. You know what I’m talking about.
The scent of cinnamon toast is like the scent of coffee- one of the most appealing to that particular sense. The number of times I walk past a cafe in Sydney in the mornings which have my taste buds salivating for cinnamon raisin toast with butter. Let’s never forget the butter.
There is a fine distinction though- Cinnamon raisin toast SMELLS way better than it tastes. Need proof? Have a look in my freezer. I’ve had the same loaf of cinnamon raisin toast in there for over 5 months.
Craving strikes- Toast a slice- realise I was just craving the smell- stays in freezer until it hits again. Lesson never learnt.
However, there is one cinnamon spiked product which tastes EXACTLY like it’s smell- freshly baked cinnamon buns. Although not as common in Australia, I can definitely attest to being besotted by Cinnabon in America and may or may not have even bought ten a few boxes of the cereal version of it to bring back to Australia. Priorities.
I still remember eating my first cinnamon bun- Soft, sweet bread with the best part- the glistening icing on top. When recreating this treat in a healthy oatmeal form, I could have probably just added my Cinnamon bun protein powder to it and called it just that- but there is so much for it. The texture of this resembles the soft bun and the icing- full fledged reminiscent of it.
While the classic cinnamon bun for breakfast everyday may eventually lead to sugar crashes, this oatmeal twist does the opposite- high in protein and fiber and low in added sugars- it will fuel you for the day ahead- or give you the necessary sweet start. Trust me on this- It fuelled me moving from my shoe box to a (slightly bigger) shoe box.
Cinnamon Bun Oatmeal Pudding
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups dairy free milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp Saigon cinnamon (the most pronounced cinnamon blend)
- 1 large egg (for a vegan option, add 1 tablespoon flax)
- 1 scoop of cinnamon or vanilla protein powder*
- 1 T coconut flour, sifted
- 2 T dairy free cream cheese
- 1 tsp granulated sweetener of choice
- 1- 2 T dairy free milk of choice
- extra cinnamon for topping
- Combine oat bran, salt and 1 cup of almond milk in a saucepan or microwave safe bowl until most of the liquid is absorbed. Whisk in the whole egg OR flaxseed very well and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes, or until the egg is fully cooked and oats are fluffy.
- Stir in the vanilla/cinnamon protein powder, vanilla essence and coconut flour until fully combined- Oat bran mixture should be extremely thick. Add in the extra 1/4 cup of milk and ensure it is well mixed. Once this is done, refrigerate uncovered.
- The next morning, make the frosting by combining the dairy free cream cheese, sweetener of choice and milk of choice in a small bowl. Top the oatmeal and douse with extra cinnamon.
- If you omit the protein powder, add an extra tablespoon of sweetener to taste. For the frosting, try not to use reduced fat varieties as are too thin and lack flavour- it's all about authenticity here.
The filtered water when paired with the sea salt really exemplifies the natural sweetness of the oats- something you would want when omitting milk.
So- I need YOUR help– I’m working on developing more unique ‘Oatmeal Pudding Recipes‘-
So far we’ve got-
In the works at the moment-
- Pralines and Cream Oatmeal Pudding
- Black Forrest Cake Oatmeal Pudding/Cherry Ripe Oatmeal Pudding (Non Australian friends- google it!)
- Devil’s Dark Chocolate Mousse Oatmeal Pudding
Do you like the smell of cinnamon raisin bread?
What is a food which always underwhelms you, yet you keep going back?
What oatmeal pudding recipes would you like to see? Suggestions very welcome!
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - email@example.com
Snapchat - thebigmansworld