This secretly healthy recipe marries two of everyone’s favourite foods- Pizza and pancakes. With four cheeses within them, these thin and crispy pancakes are much lower in fat and calories than a typical slice of pizza- Combining wholegrains with protein and healthy fats for balanced meal!
Within groups of friends, there are also mini groups within that. It might be because you all share a weekly workout class or it might be because you all love reading and can branch off and gossip about 50 Shades Of
crap Gray or something more substantial like Harry Potter. For others- It’s cheese.
Let’s take said group of friends and call them ‘The Healthy Living/Food Blogger Community‘. Within that, you’ll have those who love desserts, those who love all things fruit, then some who love all things cheese. Lot’s of cheese.
What started as an innocent Instagram group tag of an epic cheese sandwich many months ago paved the way for a new trend moving forward. Jenn (Peas and Crayons), Heather (Kiss My Broccoli), Laura (Sprint 2 the Table) and of course, the Queen of Dairy herself, Meg (Clean Eats Fast Feets) and myself have all formed a bond over this form of edible gold.
It’s not uncommon to open up my Instagtam feed to see some new finding whether that be a deep dish Chicago Pizza were the cheese to pizza ratio is 10000 : 1; A grilled cheese sandwich which combines three distinct cheeses or an epic block of flavoured cheese which is flavoured with, well, more cheese.
After remaking my sweet potato and cheddar pancakes the other day, I decided to not wash the pan and put away the ingredients but experiment a little bit more to come up with a pizza in pancake form. A HEALTHY pizza in pancake form. A HEALTHY pizza in pancake form WITHOUT sacrificing taste. The main thing though- The pancake batter had to resemble a pizza dough.
I’m a huge fan of thin crispy based pizzas so that was the direction I was going for.
The biggest downfall?
THIN CRISPY STYLE PANCAKES DO NOT PHOTOGRAPH WELL AT ALL.
You guys, no matter how many times I tried to make it look good, it just couldn’t. These aren’t your fluffy, pillow like pancakes because deep dishing it was not what I was after. Regardless, they are delicious and that’s all that matters.
These Healthy Four Cheese Pizza Pancakes are filling and crispy around the edges just like your favourite thin crust pizza. The four cheeses used are- Cottage cheese (more as a binder), a blend of cheddar and mozzarella (mixed through the batter) and coated lightly with parmesan. If plain cheese is what you’re after, simply add the dash of tomato sauce and the spices and you’re good to start flipping. Myself, I love some onion, bacon and chopped tomatoes so added those too.
Want some spice? Add Jalapeños.
Want to go the Hawaiian route? Add pineapple chunks and shredded ham.
Want to go vegetable crazy? Go to town.
Just promise me you won’t skimp out on the cheese.
These pancakes are healthy because whilst it uses four cheeses, you don’t go overboard on it. Furthermore, it’s a great excuse to hide some extra vegetables in it. I used a gluten free oat flour blend which worked great, but use whatever flour you have on hand, except coconut or almond flour- Let’s keep that to the sweet style ones for now!
You a fan of cheese too? Come join the group tagging. It gets more epic with each new finding.
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour (can sub for standard white, wholewheat)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 T Italian mixed herbs
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese, blended*
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 T sharp parmesan cheese
- 2 T tomato sauce
- Add ins of choice (I used 1/4 cup diced onions, diced bacon and a chopped tomato)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Extra basil for sprinkling
- Cooking oil/spray
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sea salt, mixed herbs and stir until combined.
- Add the egg, blended cottage cheese and milk and mix very well until a thick batter has formed.
- Stir through the mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, tomato sauce and any add ins of choice and mix until fully incorporated.
- Heat a large frying pan on low heat and coat with oil/cooking spray. Once searing hot, pour batter 1/4 cup at a time and add a dash of parmesan cheese to it. Spread the batter out and cover immediately. Once bubbles start to appear on the edges, flip and cover once more. Remove once golden on top. Repeat the process until all the batter is used up.
- Serve immediately with marinara sauce and a sprinkling of basil on top.
- I would recommend blending the cottage cheese purely for removing the lumps (Australian brands are mostly like this).
- The more 'add ins' you choose, the thinner the base will be.
- These pancakes can be cooled and frozen. If reheating from frozen, it's best to do so over the pan.
Want more pancakes? Try some of these- They are all healthy too!
Anzac Biscuit Protein Pancakes (Gluten Free, High Protein, Sugar Free)
Healthy Cinnamon Bun Pancakes (High Protein, Gluten Free, Sugar Free)
Pumpkin Gingerbread Protein Pancakes (High Protein, Gluten Free, Sugar Free)
Healthy Sweet Potato and Cheddar Pancakes (High Protein, Gluten Free, Low Calorie)
What ‘foodie’ clique would you be part of?
Team deep dish pizza or team crispy base pizza?
What is your favourite pizza topping?Keep in touch with me:
Twitter -> @thebigmansworld
Instagram – > thebigmansworld
Facebook – > thebigmansworld
Pinterest -> thebigmansworld
Bloglovin’ -> thebigmansworld