These healthy grain free double chocolate blondies are ridiculously soft, fudgy and gooey on the insides yet tender on the outsides, you wouldn’t believe them to be healthy! Made with no butter, oil, grains or sugar, these blondies are naturally gluten free, vegan, paleo, dairy free and refined sugar free!
Sometimes, accidental online purchases can be a blessing.
A few weeks ago, I lamented over how amazing Amazon is and how you could literally get any ingredient/food product within 48 hours delivered to your front door. Soon after, I made a list of certain items I needed to buy in bulk to bring back to Australia with me.
For some reason, I had both the almond flour and coconut flour tabs open on my screen. My intentions were to buy 4 packages of the coconut flour and just one of the almond variety. It was Thursday night, and I wanted to have my goodies delivered by Saturday, knowing the postal service wouldn’t be operating on Sunday.
In my ‘almost asleep’ state, I accidentally clicked on ‘4’ for the almond flour and ‘1’ for the coconut flour. I didn’t realise until my delivery came on Saturday and I was slightly confused. I went to contact Amazon to point out this error, only to realise…I made the error.
Instead of moping and trekking to USPS to return it, I decided to keep it and embrace something I’ve been slowly dabbling in, but often reluctant to do- Experiment with recipes using BOTH almond flour and coconut flour.
I feel as though over the years, I’ve gotten a really great grasp on working with coconut flour and what ratios work to produce delicious no bake recipes, baked goods and other treats. However, after trying a certain chocolate chip blondie in a health food cafe, I was intrigued. The texture of this blondie was amazing- Soft, chewy and gooey in the centre. The owner told me that the key to achieving this texture was using mostly almond flour and adding a tiny bit of coconut flour.
Looking over my accidental stash of almond flour, I was game to use my kitchen as an experimental lab. Initially, I tried out less cocoa, but found it to be some odd flavor so I added a dash more. Mixed through with some chocolate chunks and topped with an optional (yet totally delicious!) coconut cream frosting with more cocoa = Blondies given a cocoa makeover.
Coconut flour on its own? Done.
Almond flour on its own? Done.
A wedding between coconut flour AND almond flour in a recipe involving chocolate? Done.
Here comes the bride…….in healthy grain free double chocolate blondie form.
These healthy grain free double chocolate blondies are soft, slightly gooey on the insides and lightly tender on the outside- The absolute perfect texture ever! Unlike traditional blondies which use butter, oil, white sugar and flour, these use none of those- Yet you’d never tell! For such a fancy looking recipe, you’d be surprised at how quick and easy it is from prep to….mouth? These healthy grain free double chocolate blondies are naturally gluten free, paleo, vegan, refined sugar free and dairy free!
HACK! The key to the perfect texture is to remove them from the oven once they look ‘just cooked’- allow them to cool completely (preferably in the fridge) and voila- You’ll be blessed with the best texture ever. Also, while the frosting is optional, I highly recommend it, (1 can of coconut milk whipped with 3/4 cup granulated sweetener- I used a monk fruit based sweetener) with the added cocoa powder too.
Make these healthy Grain Free Double Chocolate Blondies and let’s embrace accidental online purchases.
They could be a
- 1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener of choice (I used a monk fruit sweetener)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter (can sub for cashew, peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (can sub for brown rice, agave or honey- If you use honey/agave, add an extra tablespoon)
- 1 flax or chia egg (can use one whole egg if not vegan)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks (I used dairy free chocolate chunks)
- See above- I used an easy coconut cream frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat an 9 x 9 baking dish with oil or cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients, mix well and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl or stovetop, melt your almond butter with maple syrup until combined.
- Add your nut butter mixture, flax egg/egg and milk of choice into the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Stir through your chocolate chunks and transfer mixture into the greased baking tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until just tender on the outside. Allow to cool completely in the dish and if possible, once cooled refrigerate for several hours to firm up.
- Once cooled, add optional frosting and enjoy!
- Frosted or not, these double chocolate blondies are best kept in the refrigerator and are definitely freezer friendly. If you freeze them, don't frost until thawed.
Do you shop much online?
Have you ever had a positive ‘accident’? Yes. One time Niki accidentally ordered a muumuu, thinking it was a maxi dress.
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld