Start your morning with two servings of vegetables under your belt with this hidden greens chocolate oatmeal! This delicious, chocolate oatmeal has two veggies hidden in it which cannot be tasted- High in protein, sugar free, vegan and gluten free- It’s like dessert for breakfast!
Is it just me or has August appeared out of nowhere!? I swear last week I was sitting my first semester finals and dying accepting the Winter weather. With a new month, I think its fitting to initiate some goals and then reassess at the end! For August, my goals are-
- Organise a routine to balance the enourmous university workload with part time work, exercise and socialising
- EAT MORE. This is abit of a random one, but when I first did James Wilson’s Body Earned program, I didn’t pay too much attention to my nutrition and as such, didn’t really achieve any real ‘mass’. Now that I’m doing it a second time, I’m going to ensure I’m eating at a surplus
- Be more mindful with my savings. I’m moving interstate at the start of next year and need to stop buying protein powder, American goods and losing bets unnecessary things. Sydney is a killer in terms of rent and living expenses so unless I want to live in a dogs kennel and eat ramen noodles… well.
- Post more recipes– Ever since overhauling my healthy habits, I have developed and played around with many recipes which I hope others out there will enjoy so I plan to post more of them up in a timely manner! (Including the elusive best baked tofu recipe!)
So back to the weather, EVERY channel promised blue skies and the ‘warmest Winter on record since 1974.’ Lets just say being gullible and heading out without a jacket and an umbrella was not the wisest move.
I went to a dress up party on the weekend. The theme was Countries of the World. I got asked by several people why I didn’t dress up….I didn’t think a Japanese mumu resembled any of my usual attire.
There are some days I absolutely enjoy eating vegetables, but others, I would prefer a big steak with a side of potatoes and no greens whatsoever. A trick I’ve picked up is to incorporate them into things which many would consider blasphemy- for example sweet goods/baked goods/breakfasts. Here is a #strangebutgood quick, easy way to get some greens in without even tasting it! Also, I am a huge fan of the sweet and salty and this satisfies that craving to a ‘T’.
- 1/2- 3/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup liquid of choice (I used dairy free milk)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 medium zucchini, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves, finely shredded
- 1 TBS cocoa powder
- 1 scoop of chocolate/chocolate peanut butter/vanilla protein powder (can ommit and replace with an extra TBS of cocoa)
- Sweetener to taste (I omit as my protein powder is already sweetened)
- Peanut/Nut butter
- Sea Salt
- Bring oats, pinch of salt and liquid to a boil on the stove or cook oats and liquid in the microwave.
- When most of the liquid has been absorbed, mix in thoroughly the shredded zucchini and shredded spinach. Add the cocoa powder once combined.
- If using a microwave, put back into it for approximately 1 minute then remove. If using a stovetop, continue stirring the oat mixture for 2-3 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Stir in protein powder and sweetener to taste then pour into a bowl. Top with nut butter then pour a sprinkling of sea salt on top!
- I have made many variations of this so be experimental! Try different flavours of protein powder, add egg whites to the base, top with crushed nuts or other nut butters.
- Never omit salt in the cooking process- it brings out the natural sweetness of the oats and the cocoa.
- The sea salt on top provides the salty taste which goes so well with the sweet oatmeal.
In a final piece of interesting news, I’ve had quite a number of emails from Australian readers who want to branch out and start reading more healthy living style blogs but with an abundance out there, don’t know where to begin! So as of next week, I’m excited to initiate a weekly feature called the INTERNATIONAL BLOGGER SPOTLIGHT highlighting a Healthy Living Blog, and I’m stoked the first cab off the rank with be everyone’s favourite Giraffe Christine 😉
Do you have any creative or sneaky ways to get more veggies in?
Are you a fan of dress up parties?
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - email@example.com
Snapchat - thebigmansworld