Dark chocolate, peanut butter and pretzels get married in this delicious and healthy granola! Perfect for snacking or breakfast, it’s vegan, dairy free, gluten free and made with no butter, oil or unnecessary fats!
Granola, in my eyes, are made purely for snacking purposes.
Hungry after breakfast? A handful of granola!
Peckish just before lunch? A handful of granola!
The pre dinner snack monster hits? a handful of granola!
About four weeks ago, I opted out of grocery shopping because I was lazy I was organising my new shoebox (bachelor pad) and by organising, I mean being sidetracked. For four days straight, I ate granola for dinner after work.
Granola + milk + spoon + 3 refills = dinner of champions.
Just kidding, it was dinner for lazy twats like myself.
I polished off said granola and made a mental promise to prep some salmon and beef burgers this weekend. Come Saturday morning, before meeting some friends for brunch, I made a batch of the best dark chocolate granola. Hear me out- I made it to gift some friends at work so that was the reasoning behind that. I did make the salmon and burgers after brunch.
See mum, I kept my promise. (Ignore this line everyone else).
Sunday night, I had a craving for granola and it was after dinner so consuming it as a meal was out of the equation. During my daily errands, I was snacking on a mix of chocolate pretzels and salted pretzels and still had half a package left (I know, who does that). I decided to be cool and just mix the pretzels in the granola mix during the cooking process and leave a few extra for some texture.
This granola is without a doubt my favourite to date. Being a big advocate of all things sweet and salty and a texture freak- this covers all bases. Not only that, but it is full of healthy fats, complex carbs and a boost of protein– thanks to the nuts and nut butter. If you use gluten free oats and pretzels (glutino is a brand I’ve used before), this makes any gluten intolerant person a happy chappy.
I love pretzels.
I love sweet and salty.
I love granola.
I love dark chocolate.
Friends, we have a winner.
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Granola (Adapted from this recipe)
- 2 cups rolled oats (use gluten free for gluten free option)
- 1/2 cup quick oats (use gluten free for gluten free option)
- 1/2 cup pretzels, broken up (I used a mix of chocolate covered and standard salted)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- 3/4 cup natural nut butter of choice (I used Mayver's Dark Chocolate Super Spread)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 standard block (100 grams) of Lindt Excellence Dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I used Lindt 85%)
- 1/4-1/2 cup whole pretzels (use gluten free for gluten free option)
- Preheat the oven to 180 Degrees Celsius. Line a large oven tray with baking paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, quick oats, peanuts and crushed pretzels.
- In a small saucepan, heat the nut butter of choice with the honey until it just begins to bubble. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and combine until fully incorporated.
- Spread out the granola mixture evenly on the lined oven tray and bake for 10-12 minutes (depending on the oven) until the edges start to go slightly golden. Remove from the oven and stir through several tablespoons of the chopped chocolate. Place back in the oven and continue to bake until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and stir through remaining chocolate and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, break up the granola and add the whole pretzels and store in an airtight container.
- Constantly keep an eye on your oven temperature throughout- my first couple of batches burnt very quickly. The use of rolled oats and quick oats provided a more loose granola. To have more cluster like granola, use strictly rolled oats.
Do you ever eat granola by itself for breakfast?
Granola- the perfect snack?
What is your lazy meal fall back?
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - email@example.com
Snapchat - thebigmansworld