An easy, delicious and healthy flourless banana breakfast cake which is light and fluffy on the inside and tender on the outside! This delicious cake contains NO butter, oil, flour or sugar but you’d never tell- It’s also gluten free, vegan, dairy free, sugar free and comes with a tested paleo/grain free option!
Oh the things you discuss or speculate when you have brunch.
The other day, I was having enjoying a meal with a mate and we were playing the ‘what if‘ game and the question put forward was the cliche ‘What would you do if you won a million dollars?’
My mate pretty much answered a cliche answer- He’d buy a shoebox apartment and maybe furnish it with Ikea furniture.
Times have changed where a million bucks can only go so far.
Well, enter the randomness.
Long term readers know I’m the biggest fan of Harry Potter. I died a little inside when the final book came out, but that was because I went to a house party and someone gave me peppermint schnapps mixed with wine.
Okay, back to the topic.
I died a little inside (again) upon finishing the book. I seriously felt like part of me had ended. If I won a million dollars, I would hold a contest for anyone in the world to continue the Harry Potter novels and write a 9th book, 10th book, 11th book…you get the picture. This wouldn’t mean they would be published- It would be for me to (selfishly) continue the Harry Potter adventure.
A big reason for this is perhaps my inability to start a new book. Once I finished the final Harry Potter book, I went back to the very first book and continued down the road of each book until I had finished them all again….and repeat.
So what does this have to do with today’s recipe?
Well, I guess now you know what I’d do with a million bucks, should I ever win such an amount. While this banana breakfast cake doesn’t cost a million bucks to make, it sure tastes like it could be worth that!
This healthy flourless banana breakfast cake is fluffy and light on the inside, tender on the outside and loaded with banana flavor! For a light and fluffy cake, it is extremely filling and perfect to enjoy for breakfast or even as a healthy snack or dessert! Unlike traditional banana cakes, this version contains no butter, oil, flour (unless you opt for the paleo version, in which it is grain free!) or sugar- Yet you’d never tell! This recipe is totally suitable for most dietary lifestyles out there- It’s gluten free, vegan, dairy free, sugar free and comes with a paleo option too!
HACK! I usually opt for a ‘protein packed frosting’ on these breakfast cakes but for some reason, this worked better without it! However, my taste buds might differ from yours so if you’d like a bigger protein punch, use the frosting used in this recipe, using one of these tested protein powders!
Make this healthy Flourless Banana Breakfast Cake and maybe it will spur you to write a Harry Potter book 9.
….No monetary compensation attached.
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free rolled oats, ground to a flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener of choice (I used Norbu, a monk fruit sweetener)
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup mashed banana (approximately 2 large)
- 1 cup milk of choice (I used vanilla almond)
- 1 flax egg (can sub for 1 large egg if not vegan)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 T nut butter of choice, melted (I used smooth cashew butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (can sub for honey or agave)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter (can sub for almond butter or coconut oil)
- vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, whisked lightly
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, vanilla extract and egg/flax egg. Pour into the dry mixture. Add the melted nut butter, mashed banana (and syrup, for paleo option) and mix very well until a batter is formed.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan or baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes on clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
- Breakfast cake is freezer friendly- It's best kept in the refrigerator. It tastes better over time too.
Let’s be cliche. If you won a million dollars, you’d buy….
Do you re-read your favorite books? Clearly. I have a friend who says they find out something new each time (when they re-read Harry Potter!)
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld