Dessert for breakfast is going to be a standard occurrence with this delicious Baklava inspired overnight oats! Gluten Free, Dairy Free, refined sugar free, high in protein and a vegan option, this takes barely any prep and has all the flavours of delicious baklava!
Bloggers, have you ever created a recipe or have a post that you’ve been meaning to post for the longest of times but held back?
Long term readers would be familiar with me mentioning creating a baklava oatmeal on here several times. It’s one of my all time favourite creations last year but I never ended up posting it.
A combination of reasons.
The fear that this recipe idea would be laughed at.
The fear that it would be completely irrelevant in the world of ‘food blogging’
The fear that I would be the only person to make it.
Did you read that last one?
I’ve come to grow so much as a blogger and especially the last few months have been a massive learning curve. One thing that has remained constant through it all has been my blogging voice, authenticity and doing things my way- As selfish as that sounds.
The same goes with my recipes. So what if I’m the only person who makes this recipe?
It’s easy for us to all fall into the trap of seeing what’s trending and taking the ‘business frame of mind’ of our blogs a tad too far which leads to us to not posting what we truly want. Now that I’m really seeing The Big Man’s World as a business, I often consider those thoughts. However at the end of the day, I want to post content that excites ME and hopefully that inspires you or even inspires you to embrace your recipe or post ideas.
For those of you out there who have some epic recipe, idea or concept you’ve been meaning to post but never have out of judgement, fear or simply because it’s not ‘trendy’- Reconsider it.
It’s your blog, you can
make baklava oatmeal if you want to. post whatever you want to.
When the epic folk at Blue Diamond sent me their Almond Milk hint of honey vanilla, it was literally the final boost of motivation to post this recipe for Baklava Overnight Oats. Growing up, my mum would make the BEST baklava (which she indeed claims was a Persian invention). It had just the right amount of honey to pastry ratio (ever had baklava which was WAY too overpowering? Yeah, not cool!) and the perfect hint of vanilla- Which is exactly what this Almond Breeze Almond Milk Hint of Honey Vanilla had!
These baklava overnight oats are exactly like having dessert for breakfast- Healthy style. They have the taste and texture of a pudding thanks to some tiny prep the night before but in the morning- You’re all sorted. Naturally gluten free, these baklava overnight oats are also high in protein, dairy free, refined sugar free and have a vegan option! It has just the right amount of sweetness thanks to the honey and for texture lovers- The crunch of slightly salted pistachios on top!
For those of you not fan of the overnight oatmeal texture, this is different as it doesn’t use yogurt and pre cooks the oats the night before. If that still doesn’t twist your arm, it most certainly tastes delicious hot.
If that STILL doesn’t sway you, you can most certainly go to Melbourne and bribe my mum to make some real deal homemade baklava.
NOTE- For true Baklava fans out there- Eat it with a side of pastry.
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups* Blue Diamond Almond Milk Hint of Honey Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp rosewater essence
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 2 T granulated sweetener of choice (optional)**
- 1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder (optional- Do NOT use whey)
- 2 T honey, divided (for a vegan version, sub for agave)
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios (can sub for any crushed nuts)
- In a microwave safe bowl or saucepan, combine the oats, Blue Diamond Almond Milk Hint of Honey Vanilla, rosewater essence, cinnamon and sea salt and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the granulated sweetener of choice and protein powder and mix well. Add slightly more almond milk if mixture is too thick. Stir through one tablespoon of honey and refrigerate uncovered.
- The next morning, add extra almond milk if desired and top with extra tablespoon of honey and chopped pistachios.
- * Depending on the protein powder you use, you may need more almond milk
- ** If your protein powder is sweetened, do not add or adjust to taste
Cake Batter Oatmeal (Gluten Free, Sugar Free, High Protein)
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Oatmeal (Gluten Free, Sugar Free, High Protein)
Hidden Greens Chocolate Oatmeal (Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Vegan)
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. Cheers, hugs and handshakes for supporting companies and brands which help in making The Big Man’s World continue to grow.
Bloggers, have you ever second guessed yourself on a post based on external circumstances or self doubt?
Are you a fan of baklava?