The doughy taste and texture of a bakery style banana nut muffin yet requiring no baking, flour, butter or oil! These No Bake bites are vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and high in protein- The perfect portable snack which tastes JUST like a banana nut muffin!
Sick of no bake muffin bites?
Too bad, so sad.
Just kidding, but seriously, when you find success with making a no bake bite which tastes like a bakery style muffin like this one– Of course your going to play around with different flavour combinations.
When it comes to the infamous Banana Nut Muffin, the big question here is…..What is the nut used in those bakery style muffins?
I’ve always been under the impression that it was walnuts but my mum and friend Emily reckon it’s almonds. My other friend Tim said it’s definitely peanuts and my other friend Erin says it’s pine nuts (um, Erin it’s not pesto).
Niki said it’s caramel.
Yet again, she’s doing herself no favours by showcasing her intelligence.
I stand by walnuts and seeing as this is my blog and my recipe, walnuts it is. Just Kidding.
When the team at About Time reached out to try some of their products, I of course thought to trial their protein goodies in a recipe or ten. While I’ve opted for protein powder as my protein booster in recipes, I’d never tried a pre mixed liquid- Enter- Prohydrate.
Prohydrate is a ready to drink protein packed beverage. They contain no artificial colours, flavours, are gluten free AND sweetened with stevia. Each bottle contains 20 grams of whey protein isolate and clock in at 95 calories- Perfect for me after a workout (a.k.a. sitting on the bike and playing through instagram!) or to use as a dairy free milk substitute in this recipe!
These No Bake Banana Nut Muffin Bites are based off the blueberry muffin energy balls and apple and cinnamon muffin bites. I think I may make it my mission to replicate my favourite sweet treats in no bake cookies and cookie dough bites and my favourite muffins in no bake muffin bites.
Like the other recipes, these No Bake Banana Nut Muffin Bites have the taste and texture of a bakery style muffin but without any oil, flour, butter or unnecessary fats. They are high in protein, thanks to using About Time Pro Hydrate instead of dairy free milk. They are also gluten free, vegan (if you follow instructions) and as always, I’ve included a paleo version for those who follow that style of eating. For those who don’t have access to prohydrate, you can sub in dairy free milk of choice! For a gluten free flour blend, I recommend this one here by Gluten Free Mama.
Make these delicious No Bake Banana Nut Muffin bites and YOU be in control of the nut that goes it.
As long as it’s not caramel. Actually, that doesn’t sound so bad….
Healthy No Bake Banana Nut Muffin Bites
For the original version
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 scoop of neutral or vanilla protein powder optional
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 T Coconut palm sugar can sub for any granulated sweetener of choice
- 2 T maple syrup can sub for any liquid sweetener such as molasses, agave, honey or brown rice syrup
- 1 small banana mashed
- 1/4 cup nuts of choice I used crushed walnuts, peanuts and almonds
- 1/4- 1/2 cup About Time Prohydrate can sub for dairy free milk of choice*
For the Paleo Version
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, protein powder, cinnamon, sea salt, granulated sweetener of choice and mix well. Stir through the maple syrup- The mixture should be quite crumbly.
- Add in the mashed banana and crushed nuts mix very well.
- Using a tablespoon at a time, add the dairy free milk of choice OR About Time Pro Hydrate and mix until a thick batter is formed.
- Using your hands, form into bite sized balls and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to firm up.
* If you use protein powder, you may need more/less milk- Play by ear. Coconut flours differ brand by brand so adjust liquids accordingly Adapted from Apple Cinnamon Muffin Bites
Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls (Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free)
Apple Cinnamon Muffin Bites (Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free)
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of About Time.
Cheers, hugs and handshakes for supporting companies and brands which help in making The Big Man’s World continue to grow.
The big question here. Which nut is in the banana nut muffin?
What is your typical post workout meal or snack? If I workout in the morning, it’s usually breakfast!