I think we can all be certain that the best parts of granola are the big chunks.
Ironically, I’m not one too fussed with it- The granola clusters are great to snack on whole and the remaining ‘crumbs’ as such- are perfect mixed into greek yogurt or cottage cheese. However, when the snack monster hits, there is nothing more convenient that the clusters.
Eating strange things for breakfast is pretty standard in this part of blog world. Not just that, but typically dessert style foods. After being on a recent bender with this breakfast cookie dough (which keeps things exciting with it’s constantly changing options!) I started craving yogurt or cottage cheese bowls.
Oatmeal cookies would be my least favourite cookies. Sorry for oatmeal cookie fans. I prefer something more exciting like chocolate chip or even better- white chocolate and macadamia ones (Pssssst……if you’re a fan of this combination, I have a huge treat for you guys Friday!). However, when choosing a cereal to mix into the dairy bowls, it has to be something basic. Delicious, but basic. Enter- The Oatmeal cookie granola clusters. Tasting exactly like an oatmeal cookie but in granola form, these bite sized chunks are just the perfect level of sweetness to complement it.
These taste great on cottage cheese, greek yogurt or even with milk- but let’s face it- the best kind of cereal is one which you can just eat by the handful and with these- you’re prayers are answered….by the Granola Gods. Oatmeal Cookie Granola Clusters
Oatmeal Cookie Granola Clusters
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats gluten free oats for GF option
- 1/2 cup oat flour gluten free oats ground to a flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup honey Can substitute for brown rice syrup or other sticky sweetener
- 1/4 cup mix in of choice I used chopped dried mango
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour to avoid clumps. Add the rolled oats, shredded coconut, sea salt and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and egg white. Add the coconut oil and and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until fully incorporated. Stir in the mix in of choice.
- Transfer the granola mixture onto a baking tray and ensure it is evenly spread out. Bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes (depending on the oven) removing halfway through to mix around to avoid it firming up too much. Remove from oven when lightly golden.
- Allow to cool completely. Once cooled, break up the granola mixture into bite sized clumps.