This healthy dark chocolate granola is made with peanut butter, cocoa powder and maple syrup, and the perfect breakfast or snack to enjoy anytime! Quick, easy and 100% vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free!
Made with wholesome ingredients like rolled oats, peanut butter, maple syrup and loaded with nuts and seeds, this dark chocolate granola will be a staple in your kitchen!
What is granola?
Granola is a popular breakfast cereal or snack, made up of rolled oats, nuts, seeds and sweetened by several means.
Most store-bought granola is often made with oil, butter and several forms of sugar, and could be classified as more of a dessert than breakfast or a snack.
In some countries, granola can be referred to as muesli.
Granola is often enjoyed with milk for breakfast, over yogurt or made into a parfait.
Is granola good for you?
Depending on the brand of granola you buy of the kind you make, granola can be a healthy choice when it comes to food.
Unfortunately, many brands are full of unhealthy fats, sugars and are loaded with calories!
My granola, however, is quite the opposite. It’s made with healthy ingredients, 100% refined sugar-free and full of protein and healthy fats.
Does granola have gluten?
Unless your granola uses certified gluten-free rolled oats or made without wheat, granola tends to contain gluten.
My homemade version uses certified gluten-free rolled oats, along with other gluten-free ingredients, making it 100% gluten-free.
How to make homemade chocolate granola
Making this healthy chocolate granola is super simple, and takes less than 5 minutes prep!
- Firstly, you will preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your rolled oats, quick oats, salt and nuts of choice. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl or stovetop, combine your peanut butter with maple syrup. Heat until warm and melted. Whisk together, until fully incorporated.
- Then, you’ll combine your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients. Mix very well, until combined.
- You’ll then transfer the granola on the lined pan and spread out on an even layer. Place the granola mixture in the oven.
- Allow the granola to cook for 10-12 minutes until the edges have started to go golden brown. Remove the granola from the oven and gently stir it, using a rubber spatula. Top with chocolate chips and mix very well. Place back into the oven.
- Continue to bake the granola for another 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the granola from the oven and allow the granola to cool completely.
Store granola in a sealed container or covered completely. It will keep fresh for up to 2 months.
What to serve with this healthy chocolate granola
- Sprinkle some over some yogurt (e.g. Greek yogurt, coconut yogurt or similar)
- Top over some keto vanilla ice cream
- Enjoy mixed into some low carb oatmeal
The Best Healthy Chocolate Granola
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, quick oats, salt and nuts of choice.
- In a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, heat the peanut butter with the maple syrup until it just begins to bubble. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and combine until fully incorporated.
- Spread out the granola mixture evenly on the lined oven tray and bake for 10-12 minutes (depending on the oven) until the edges start to go slightly golden. Remove from the oven and stir through the chocolate chips. Place back in the oven and continue to bake until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and stir through remaining chocolate and allow to cool completely. Once cooked, break up the granola and store in an airtight container.