This healthy granola is made with rolled oats, peanut butter, maple syrup and baked until crispy and crunchy! Using just 4 ingredients, and ready in 30 minutes, this healthy granola recipe is made with no oil or butter!
As someone who loves a filling and delicious breakfast, granola is definitely one of my go-tos. I’ve been making my own homemade granola for several years now, after realizing just how unhealthy store bought granola is!
Now, this isn’t like traditional granola out there. There is no butter and no oil needed whatsoever. This low sugar granola recipe is also 100% naturally sweetened, relying on maple syrup for sweetness! It’s packed with fiber, whole grains, and perfect to have with some milk, sprinkle over yogurt, or make a healthy parfait!
The beauty of this easy granola recipe is that you can customize it any way you like! Literally, go to your pantry and throw in all the dried fruits, nuts, seeds, coconut, and even chocolate- The possibilities are endless!
Crispy, crunchy. and perfectly sweet, it’s a delicious vegan and gluten free breakfast that will become a staple!
How do you make healthy granola?
- Rolled oats– You must use rolled oats, and not quick cooking oats. Be sure to use gluten free oats, if needed.
- Nuts of choice– I used chopped peanuts, but you can use any nut or seed of choice.
- Peanut Butter– Smooth and creamy peanut butter. If you’d like to use another nut or seed butter, like almond butter or tahini, you are welcome to. Just be sure it is smooth and creamy, so it can be mixed with the maple syrup.
- Maple Syrup– Gives the granola sweetness, and is a refined sugar free sweetener. You can also use agave nectar or honey, if you aren’t strictly vegan.
- Mix-ins of choice– Use your favorite dried fruits, nuts, or even chocolate chips! I added candied cashews, dried cranberries, and vegan white chocolate chips.
Start by adding your oats and nuts into a large mixing bowl. In a microwave safe bowl or in a small saucepan, heat up your peanut butter and maple syrup, until warm. Whisk it together, and pour over the oats/nut mixture. Mix your granola mixture very well, until completely combined. Transfer to a lined baking sheet, covered in parchment paper. Bake the granola at 180C/350F for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove the granola from the oven and mix once more, before cooling completely. Once cool, add your mix-ins then transfer to a cereal container.
Tips to make the best granola
- Oven makes and models differ, so keep a keen eye on the granola from the 15 minute mark. It is so important to stir it halfway through, as the granola on the edges are prone to browning much quicker in the center.
- Do not add your mix-ins until the granola has cooled. Otherwise, you may be left with chocolate granola instead.
- If you’d like to have granola clusters, do not stir the granola once you remove it from the oven. Let it cool completely, before breaking it apart into bite sized clusters.
- This recipe is vegan and gluten free. If you want a lower carb granola, you’ll enjoy keto granola.
Storing and Freezing Granola
- To store: Granola can be stored in a sealable container, for up to 2 months. If your granola has begun to stick together, simply shake the container to break it apart again.
- To freeze: Place granola in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More healthy breakfast recipes you’ll enjoy
Healthy Granola (4 Ingredients!)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your oats and nuts, and set aside. In a microwave safe bowl or in a small saucepan, combine your peanut butter and maple syrup and heat until warm. Whisk together, until combined.
- Pour the peanut butter/syrup mixture over the oat mixture. Mix very well, until fully incorporated.
- Transfer the granola mixture onto the lined sheet and spread out in an even layer. Bake for 25 minutes, removing halfway through to give it a mix.
- Remove the granola from the oven and mix once more, before allowing it to cool completely. Once cool, add your mix-ins of choice, and transfer to a sealable container.