A quick and simple healthy baked oatmeal recipe which can be made in the microwave or in the oven! Packed with fiber, protein and low in calories, it’s made without eggs or sugar, so is perfect for a vegan and gluten-free diet!
Healthy Baked Oatmeal
Baked oatmeal is one of my favorite healthy breakfasts, especially when I want something hearty, filling and providing slow releasing energy to fuel my day ahead.
This healthy baked oatmeal recipe is a blank canvas for you to spruce up any way you want! It’s made with old fashioned (rolled) oats, peanut butter, and chia seeds. It’s perfect to prepare in advance, and tastes like a bowl of hearty oatmeal, with a few twists!
Taste-wise, it’s thick, chewy and hearty, with sweetness from the stevia and a hint of chocolate, thanks to the cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
Texture wise, it’s thick, chewy, hearty. It’s slightly crispy on the outside, and creamier on the inside!
How to make baked oatmeal
This is the BEST baked oatmeal recipe, as it is so quick and easy to prepare, and can be made overnight or fresh!
Firstly, in a mixing bowl, combine your oats, peanut butter, chia seeds, cocoa powder, sweetener and milk of choice. Mix until well combined, before pouring the batter into a greased, oven-safe ramekin. Top with some chocolate chips, before baking for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and chocolate chips have melted!
How to make baked oatmeal healthy
Made with wholesome ingredients, this baked oatmeal recipe is already incredibly healthy! It is high in fiber, full of healthy fats and packed with protein. It’s also relatively low in calories, so it’s perfect to top with some extras, like nuts or fresh fruits.
You can also give it a boost of protein, by adding a scoop of your favorite protein powder.
Other ingredients to add to baked oatmeal
- Apples or unsweetened applesauce
- Mashed pumpkin or mashed banana
- Blueberries or other berries
How to make baked oatmeal in the microwave
You can easily make baked oatmeal in the microwave!
Simply prepare the baked oatmeal overnight, as directed. The next morning, double check the oats aren’t crumbly. If they are, add a little extra milk, just to keep the batter moist. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until just cooked.
How to store baked oatmeal
If you plan on eating the baked oatmeal the same day it is made, it can be kept at room temperature.
For consumption at a later date, baked oatmeal needs to be refrigerated. Cover in a sealed container or saran wrap, and it will last for up to a week.
Can you freeze baked oatmeal?
Baked oatmeal is perfect to freeze for later!
Simply allow the baked oatmeal to cool completely, and then wrap in parchment paper. It will keep well for up to 2 months.
To reheat, allow to thaw overnight and heat in the microwave or enjoy at room temperature.
Tips and Tricks for the perfect best baked healthy oatmeal
- Use old fashioned oats, as these will yield the best chewy texture, and keep you fuller for longer. You can use quick oats, but add an extra tablespoon or two.
- Using gluten-free rolled oats ensures this recipe is 100% gluten-free.
- The milk proportions as a guide- Your batter should be moist. If it is too dry, add extra liquid. If it is too thin, add extra oats.
- To keep this recipe peanut free, swap out the peanut butter for almond butter or cashew butter.
- To keep this recipe nut-free, use sunflower seed butter, tahini or wow butter.
- If you don’t want a chocolate flavor, simply omit the cocoa powder.
- Chia seeds are used to replace eggs and keep the oatmeal vegan. You can try ground flax but add a little less milk.
More oatmeal recipes
- Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- Snickers Overnight Oats
- Sticky Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal
- No Bake Oatmeal Cookies
- Golden Milk Oatmeal
Healthy Baked Oatmeal Recipe (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F. Grease a 10 or 12-inch ramekin and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. Add your peanut butter and mix it into the dry mixture until a crumbly texture remains.
- Add your milk of choice and liquid stevia and mix well, until a moist batter remains. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden on top.
- Allow cooling for a minute, before eating.
- Prepare as above, but microwave for 1-2 minutes.