Air fryer salmon is the BEST way to cook salmon that turns out crispy and flaky every single time! Ready in just 6 minutes, a secret trick guarantees perfectly cooked salmon every single time.
I often use my air fryer for our dinners. They cut the cooking time of our favorite proteins, and honestly, it’s been a game changer. Our favorite protein to cook in the air fryer is chicken breast, pork chops, and recently, we’ve been loving salmon.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Healthy and delicious. Air-fried salmon has low carbs and low calories, making it a healthy meal compared to oil-fried salmon. It’s perfect for anyone who loves salmon and is on a diet.
- Cooks in 6 minutes. The preparation and cooking will only take 10 minutes.
- Perfectly crispy and flaky. It hits the nail in the texture department.
My secret trick to perfectly cooked salmon every single time is to remove it from the air fryer basket a little earlier than usual. You then let the salmon rest for five minutes before serving and it turns out perfectly flaky every time.
- Salmon fillets– Skin on salmon is preferred, as it helps cook the salmon completely.
- Olive oil– Keeps the salmon crispy on the outside but flaky and soft inside.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Brown sugar– helps caramelize the fish and give it a crispy exterior.
- Spices– Smoked paprika, garlic, and onion powder enhance the flavor of the fish and gives it a lovely, smokey flavor.
How to cook salmon in air fryer
Preheat the air fryer: To 200C/400F.
Season the salmon: Add the salmon and olive oil into a small bowl and mix. Add the salt, pepper, and spices, and rub onto the fish.
Cook in the air fryer: Put the seasoned salmon in the air fryer basket and air fry for 6 minutes.
Garnish and serve: Remove the salmon from the air fryer basket and serve immediately.
How to know when salmon is cooked?
The best way to check when the salmon is cooked is to check its internal temperature. Once the center of the fish shows an internal temperature of 145F, the fish is cooked.
If you follow my secret trick to the best cooked salmon, remove it from the air fryer basket once it reaches 135F. You then let it rest for five minutes before serving.
What to serve with fried salmon
Some of the best food pairings that are made using air fried salmon are:
- Salads– Simple and delicious options include coleslaw, cauliflower potato salad, spinach salad, and a low carb potato salad.
- Vegetables– Air fried zucchini, buffalo cauliflower, and keto Brussels sprouts.
- Sauces- Heartier sauces like alfredo sauce, gravy, and cranberry sauce.
- Low carb comfort food– Keto pasta, keto gnocchi, mac and cheese, and cauliflower mac and cheese.
- Bread– Toasted keto bread, rolls, buns, and even tortillas!
Tips for making salmon in the air fryer
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket so that each fillet will cook completely. If needed, cook the salmon in batches.
- Choose salmon fillets of similar size, so they cook evenly.
- Do not overcook the salmon, or you risk it being dry. Use a thermometer to check.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To Store: Leftovers can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled salmon in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating: Heat the leftovers gently in a skillet or pan on the stovetop over medium heat until hot.
More salmon recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
The temperature of the air fryer should be set to 200C/400F.
There is no need to flip the salmon in the air fryer, especially if the skin is intact. Salmon can be quite delicate, and flipping it risks the fish breaking apart.
You can use frozen salmon directly into the air fryer, but you risk the fish becoming quite tough and gummy.
Air Fryer Salmon (6 minute recipe!)
- In a small bowl, coat the salmon with oil, then add the salt and pepper.
- Mix the remaining sugar and spices and rub over the salmon.
- Add the salmon skin side down to the air fryer basket and air fry at 200C/400F for 6 minutes, or until cooked.
- Remove from the air fryer basket and sprinkle with chopped parsley.