Learn how to make air fryer asparagus, a healthy, vibrantly colored and quick side dish. Ready in less than 6 minutes, it’s a delicious way to enjoy this vegetable.
Using the air fryer to cook vegetables is truly a game changer.
No longer are you spending ages for the oven to roast them and can have them tasting just as good in minutes. Some of our favorite vegetables to air fry include zucchini, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower, and now we add asparagus into the mix.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy. This recipe takes only 4 ingredients and less than 6 minutes to prepare.
- Healthy. It’s a low carb, gluten-free, and naturally keto friendly, so no one ever misses out!
- Flavorful. With tender stalks and crispy tips, it tastes better than oven roasted asparagus.
What I love about this asparagus is just how perfect they turn out every time. Unlike roasting and steaming, you don’t have to monitor it to prevent it from overcooking: air frying it guarantees perfection!
You’ll just need 4 ingredients to make this simple recipe:
- Asparagus. Always choose thicker stalks and trim the sides.
- Olive oil. While any oil works, olive is superior as it lends a much more delicious flavor.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
How to make asparagus in the air fryer?
Simple is an understatement for this recipe. The beauty of the air fryer is that it does all the hard work for you! Ready to cook some asparagus?
Step 1- Prepare the air fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 190C or 375F. Spray some oil to slightly grease the air fryer basket.
Step 2- Season the asparagus
Add asparagus to a bowl and season with spices and oil.
Step 3- Air fry the asparagus
Place the seasoned asparagus in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook for 5-6 minutes, then flip side. Repeat the process until asparagus is fully cooked.
Ideal asparagus air frying time
Not all asparagus is created equal. While we recommend choosing thicker stalks, if you can only find thin ones, you need to adjust the air frying time to compensate.
- Thin stalks– 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Medium stalks– 5-6 minutes.
- Thick stalks– 6-7 minutes.
How to trim asparagus?
Snap off the bottom from one asparagus stalk from the woody end and use that as a baseline for other asparagus. Repeat the process until all the asparagus has been trimmed.
Wondering what is the best way to store leftovers? Here are best practices for cooked asparagus storage:
- To store: Place the asparagus in a shallow container and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- To freeze: Freezing cooked asparagus is not recommended, as it becomes mushy once thawed.
- Reheating: Use an air fryer, microwave or hot skillet to reheat them.
What to serve with asparagus?
Serve asparagus as a veggie side dish to your favorite mains. Here are some air fryer favorites to get you started:
Frequently Asked Questions
Asparagus can have sand and dirt, especially its buds. Soaking in water for a few minutes before cooking removes the trapped sand and dirt.
Blanching asparagus means cooking asparagus in boiling water and then putting it in ice cold water to keep its color and flavor.
Air fryer maintains the color and nutrients through the convectional cooking process, omitting the need for blanching.
It’s better not to skip oil if you don’t want to dry out your asparagus.
Air Fryer Asparagus In 4 Minutes | Just 4 Ingredients
- 1 lb asparagus washed and trimmed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 190C/375F. Lightly grease an air fryer basket.
- Toss the asparagus in a bowl with the oil and spices.
- Place them in a single layer in the air fryer basket and air fry for 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove the asparagus from the air fryer and serve immediately.