Learn how to make air fryer asparagus in less than 5 minutes with this easy and quick recipe. This yields crisp and tender asparagus every single time.
Using the air fryer to cook vegetables is truly a game changer.
Gone are the days of waiting hours for them to roast in the oven. Thanks to this nifty gadget, the cooking time and clean up is a breeze. Some of our favorite vegetables to air fry include zucchini, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower, and now we add asparagus into the mix.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this recipe
Asparagus is such a delicious vegetable that works as a side dish or even be the star ingredient in a main course too. When in season, air-frying it up to eat with our mains is always good, and we are fortunate that everyone in our family loves it!
- It’s quick and easy. This recipe takes only 4 ingredients and less than 6 minutes to prepare. It’s almost as fast as sauteing asparagus!
- Healthy. It’s a low carb, gluten-free, and naturally keto friendly, so no one ever misses out!
- Flavorful. With tender stalks and crispy tips, it tastes better than oven-roasted asparagus.
- Perfect use of the veggie. Asparagus season doesn’t last long, so it’s best to take advantage of it and use it in everything from a quiche to a soup.
You’ll just need 4 ingredients to make this simple recipe:
- Asparagus. Always choose thicker stalks and trim the sides.
- Olive oil. While any oil works, olive is superior as it lends a much more delicious flavor.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
How to make asparagus in the air fryer?
Simple is an understatement for this recipe. The beauty of the air fryer is that it does all the hard work for you! Ready to cook some asparagus?
- Step 1- Prepare the air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 190C or 375F. Spray some oil to slightly grease the air fryer basket.
- Step 2- Season the asparagus. Add asparagus to a bowl and season with spices and oil.
- Step 3- air fry the asparagus. Place the seasoned asparagus in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Air fry the vegetable for 4-5 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
Ideal asparagus cooking time
Not all asparagus is created equal. While we recommend choosing thicker stalks, if you can only find thin ones, you need to adjust the air frying time to compensate.
- Thin stalks– 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Medium stalks– 5-6 minutes.
- Thick stalks– 6-7 minutes.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Choose fresh asparagus: Select fresh asparagus spears that are vibrant green in color and have firm stalks. Avoid any that are wilted or have a slimy texture.
- Arrange the asparagus in a single layer: Avoid overcrowding the basket, as it can lead to uneven cooking.
- Trim the asparagus: Trim the tough ends of the asparagus spears as these are inedible and tough and grainy.
- Experiment with flavors: You can add a squeeze of lemon juice, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, or top with toasted nuts for extra texture and taste.
To store: Place the asparagus in a shallow container and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days.
To freeze: Freezing cooked asparagus is not recommended, as it becomes mushy once thawed.
Reheating: Use an air fryer, microwave, or hot skillet to reheat them.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
More air fried vegetables to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Asparagus can have sand and dirt, especially its buds. Soaking in water for a few minutes before cooking removes the trapped sand and dirt.
Blanching asparagus means cooking asparagus in boiling water and then putting it in ice cold water to keep its color and flavor.
Air fryer maintains the color and nutrients through the convectional cooking process, omitting the need for blanching.
It’s better not to skip oil if you don’t want to dry out your asparagus.
Snap off the bottom from one asparagus stalk from the woody end and use that as a baseline for other asparagus. Repeat the process until all the asparagus has been trimmed.
Air Fryer Asparagus
- Preheat the air fryer to 190C/375F. Lightly grease an air fryer basket.
- Toss the asparagus in a bowl with the oil and spices.
- Place them in a single layer in the air fryer basket and air fry for 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove the asparagus from the air fryer and serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.