Learn to make perfect air fryer carrots; crispy on the outside and tender inside. Ready in just 15 minutes, they work with standard and baby carrots.
Cooking carrots in the air fryer has been such a winner in our household.
It gives this veggie a hybrid fried/roasted texture in a fraction of the time and with very little oil or butter. It also caramelizes SO well, like other root vegetables, including potatoes and sweet potatoes.
These carrots are so good, my family BEGS me to make it our dinnertime side dish all the time- they say it reminds them of carrot fries!
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- Quick and easy. Add the ingredients, turn on the switch, and walk away. Your air-fried carrots will be ready in just 15 minutes.
- Healthier. I used to saute or roast carrots, which were still healthy but still needed some fat to cook. Not air frying though. All we add is a drop of oil and that is it!
- Easy to customize. You can use the simple recipe seasonings or increase their flavor by adding spicy seasonings.
- Works with baby carrots. I like to change things up by using baby carrots or Dutch carrots, and the results are identical!
Air frying carrots need very little to make them taste incredible. Here is everything you need:
- Carrots. I find larger and thicker carrots work best, as you can cut them into equal-sized matchsticks more easily. Of course, if you use baby carrots, this isn’t an issue.
- Olive oil. Or any neutral-flavored oil.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
- Parsley and parmesan cheese. To serve.
How to cook carrots in the air fryer
The beauty of using an air fryer is that it takes care of all the hard work. With less than 2 minutes of prep time, this comes together in no time.
Season the carrots: In a mixing bowl, add carrots, olive oil, salt, and pepper and mix well.
Air fry carrots: Preheat the air fryer to 180/350F. Then, add the seasoned carrots to the air fryer basket to cook for 15 minutes, shaking halfway through.
Serve: Once done, remove the carrots from the air fryer, and season them with parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Always dry the carrots completely after rinsing and before you toss them in the air fryer for cooking. Wet carrots can become mushy and will not yield an entirely crispy exterior.
- Don’t forget to shake your air fryer basket when carrots are cooking to ensure they cook evenly.
- Chop your carrots into medium-sized pieces, as if they are too small and they will burn.
- Make air fryer carrot fries by replacing the potatoes in air fryer French fries with carrots. Alternatively, just cut these carrots into a thin, fry shape.
- Use baby carrots, Dutch carrots or purple carrots for some variety.
To store: Put the leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To freeze: Place leftovers in a shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Reheating: You can reheat them in the microwave, air fryer, or skillet.
More vegetables in the air fryer
Frequently Asked Questions
Air-fried carrots are healthy because they are cooked using less oil, so they provide fewer calories and unhealthy fats.
Air Fryer Carrots
- Add the carrots, olive oil, salt, and pepper into a mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the seasoned carrots to an air fryer basket and air fry at 180C/350F for 15 minutes, shaking halfway through.
- Remove the carrots from the air fryer and repeat the process until all the carrots are cooked.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.