Enjoy this easy air fryer steak recipe: seared on the outside, juicy inside! Simple ingredients, easy steps, and healthier than grilled steak!
What is the most foolproof way to cook steak? Put a steak in the air fryer.
If you’ve ever been skeptical about cooking steaks perfectly, this will be your new favorite way to cook them. We used to be intimidating by cooking the perfect steak, so much that we only ever ate it out at restaurants. Luckily, we’ve perfected it thanks to the air fryer, and it could not be any more simple.
This air fryer steak recipe ticks all the boxes.
It cooks in minimal time, keeps ALL the juices, and is lower in fat. Don’t let that detract you, though: It’s juicy, tender, and easy to customize. Keep it simply seasoned or add my famous 3 ingredient marinade to it.
Like any good steak, this one needs just a handful of ingredients to really let the meat shine. Here is what you’ll need:
- Steaks. Choose a porterhouse or sirloin steak with 1-inch thickness and 250 grams of weight with no bones.
- Olive oil. For cooking steaks in the air fryer.
- Salt and pepper. To season.
How to make air fryer steak?
Cooking steak in the air fryer is simple: You’ll just need to let the steak rest for 10 minutes before serving it to retain all the juices! Here is how to make this recipe (or skip below for the full write up):
- Preheat the air fryer to 200 degrees Celsius or 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season the steaks with oil, salt, and pepper on the steaks.
- Cook steaks in the air fryer for 10-12 minutes and flip after half cooking time.
- Serve after letting the steaks rest for 10 minutes.
What cut of steak is best for the air fryer?
Choosing the best cut of steak for the air fryer is a hassle-free process because you have multiple options. Some of the best options are:
- Top sirloin
Do you need to flip a steak in the air fryer?
You have to flip a steak in the air fryer to cook both sides.
How long does it take to cook a thick steak in the air fryer?
The thicker the steak is, the greater the cooking time will be. Using 1-inch steaks as a base, they require 10-12 minutes. Anything more than that and you’ll need to increase the cooking time accordingly.
A way to check if the steak is done is to check its internal temperature. It should be 145F.
Rare, medium, and well done steak
If your like me, you love your steak cooked a certain way. You can cook your steak a little longer/quicker if you want rare or well done. Here are the internal temperature the steaks should be for different cooked levels:
- Rare: Steak should have an internal temperature between 125F-130F.
- Medium-rare: Internal temperature between 130F-140F.
- Medium: 140F-150F.
- Well done: 160F.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Don’t use steaks that are less than an inch in thickness. Thin steaks are prone to overcooking quickly and becoming chewy.
- To enjoy the best flavor and texture, allow the steaks to come to room temperature at least 30 minutes before cooking them in the air fryer.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket and leave some space between steaks for airflow to cook evenly.
- Pat fry the steaks before seasoning them.
This air fryer steak recipe is made with simple ingredients, but it’s easy to customize. Here are some ideas:
- Add a steak rub from your grocery store or specialty spice shop.
- Marinate it in dressing for an extra juicy flavor punch. Try a low calorie dressing or a low carb dressing.
- Soak in a steak marinade, like my favorite 3 ingredient steak marinade.
- Add a pinch of sugar to balance the salty flavors and give it a gorgeous caramelized crust.
- Cover it in creamy sauces for a comforting meal, like alfredo sauce, cheese sauce, or even gravy.
- Add spices like smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper for a smoky flavor hit.
Wondering what’s the best way to store leftover steak? Here are best practices for steak storage:
- Refrigerator: Place the steak and any excess juices in a shallow container and store it in a refrigerator for up to three days.
- Freezer: Place the cooked and cooled steak in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To reheat: Either microwave the steak for 20-30 seconds or reheat in a non-stick pan until hot.
More air fryer protein recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, meat cooked in the air fryer will always be more tender and cook evenly.
When cooked properly, air fryer steak is as good as grilled or pan-cooked steak, and healthier too.
The color of the well-cooked steak is brown. You can also check the internal temperature of the steak.
Air Fryer Steak (Juicy and tender)
- Preheat the air fryer to 200C/400F.
- Rub oil, salt, and pepper on the steaks.
- Air fry the steaks for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Let the steaks rest for 10 minutes.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.