Hands down, these are the BEST ever vegan brownies you will ever make- Gooey, fudgy and completely eggless!
Made with no eggs, no dairy and no oil, these gooey vegan brownies are a game-changer.
I made a batch of these recently when I threw a completely plant-based lunch, and even my non-vegan friends were obsessed.
I’ve been on a kick making 100% vegan desserts, after the success of the best vegan chocolate chip cookies. I have a few other strictly vegan recipes, like this carrot cake and these rice Krispies treats.
We need an AMAZING vegan brownie recipe…and here we have it.
What are vegan brownies made of?
Unlike traditional brownies, my vegan brownies recipe has no eggs, no dairy, and no milk, but you’d never tell.
- Dairy Free Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Flax Eggs
- Black Coffee
- Coconut Sugar
- Vegan Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
As you see, there are NO crazy or hard to find ingredients at all.
Alternatively, you can click on the ingredients above to purchase them online!
Why are these the BEST vegan brownies you will ever make?
Okay, so everyone claims their brownie recipe is the BEST, but hear me out on this.
I have a secret trick to make these brownies taste out of the world amazing, and it comes down to one secret ingredient- Black coffee.
I prepare my flax eggs by substituting the water for black coffee, and it takes these brownies to another level.
Texture-wise, they tick all the boxes. Crackly tops, moist and gooey center.
The taste? Wow, the taste is incredible. Rich, chocolatey, and enhanced, thanks to the coffee flavor throughout. Don’t fret though- If you aren’t a fan of coffee, you won’t taste it at all. If you can’t tolerate caffeine, it works just as well with decaf coffee too!
How to make the BEST vegan brownies ever…from scratch!
- You only need one bowl to make these brownies- No mixers, no blenders, nothing fancy! It’s ridiculously quick and easy.
- These fudgy brownies are made with real vegan chocolate in the batter, not relying on purely cocoa powder or vegan chocolate chips.
- You’ll start by preparing the flax eggs, by combining 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of brewed coffee. Let it sit for 10 minutes, for a gel to form.
- Melt the chocolate, either in the microwave or using a small saucepan over the stove.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut sugar and dairy-free butter until smooth. Add the vanilla extract, melted chocolate, and prepared flax eggs and whisk well, until combined and glossy.
- Sift through your cocoa powder, flour, and baking powder into the bowl. Mix together until just combined- Do not overmix, or your batter will not turn out well.
- Transfer the brownie batter into a lined pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Do not overbake– Remember, brownies continue to cook while they cool down!
- Allow brownies to cool in the pan completely, before slicing up into 9 bars.
How to store vegan brownies
Store vegan brownies in the fridge, to ensure they remain fresh. They are super gooey and fudgy, so the chilled temperature will ensure they don’t spoil.
You can freeze vegan brownies too- Wrap them in parchment paper individually, and place them in a ziplock bag.
To enjoy brownies warm and gooey, heat in a microwave for 30-45 seconds, and top with some coconut whipped cream or enjoy as is!
Ingredient Swaps and Substitutions
These brownies have been tested many times and can provide some substitutions
- Brewed coffee. If you can’t tolerate coffee, you can simply use water. It will still have the same texture.
- Flax eggs. For those who don’t follow a strict vegan diet, you can replace this with 2 whole eggs. If you do this, DO NOT add the brewed coffee.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips. Any chocolate chips of choice will work.
- Coconut Sugar. White sugar and brown sugar can also be used. I am currently trying out a sugar free version of these vegan brownies.
- Vegan Butter. Standard butter will work, as will coconut oil. If you use coconut oil, it should be liquid, but not warm.
- All-Purpose Flour. These brownies are 100% gluten free, when made with gluten-free all purpose flour.
Why is my brownie crumbly?
These brownies are pretty much foolproof, but sometimes, you may find your brownies are crumbly.
The reason for this is due to overmixing the batter. I know it is tempting to mix the brownie batter very well, but that actually makes the brownies to be less durable during the cooking process.
So to make it 100% foolproof- DO NOT OVERMIX the batter 😀
What to serve vegan brownies with
Honestly, I love eating these brownies on their own, because they are that good- But if you want to pair it with something else to take it up a notch, here are some ideas
- Drizzle some nut butter on top. Add 1-2 tablespoons of homemade Nutella or homemade almond butter for a decadent dessert.
- Add a scoop of homemade ice cream. I love pairing this with some keto vanilla ice cream or keto chocolate ice cream.
- Sprinkle some granola. Enjoy them with some plain yogurt, and sprinkle some chocolate granola or keto granola on top.
More vegan desserts you’ll love
Best Fudgy Vegan Brownies (Gluten Free)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsp brewed coffee can substitute this for water
- 8 oz chocolate chips of choice
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar can use any granulated sweetener
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour can use gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Prepare your flax egg by combining your ground flaxseed with your brewed (chilled) coffee. Let it sit for 10 minutes, to form a gel.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl or stovetop, melt your chocolate chips of choice. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your vegan butter and coconut sugar, and whisk well. Add in your prepared flax eggs, melted chocolate, vanilla, and almond extract, and mix well, until glossy.
- Sift through your flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Transfer your brownie batter into the lined pan. Bake your brownies for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove brownies from the oven and let cool completely, before slicing into 9 pieces.