This air fryer cod is crispy, tender, and flaky and cooks in just 8 minutes! It’s perfect for a healthy, filling, and delicious dinner.
Fish and seafood are among our favorite things to cook in the air fryer.
It gives them all crispy sides while keeping the middle soft and flaky. I’ve done almost all kinds, and my family’s favorites include air fryer salmon and air fryer salmon bites. This air fryer cod recipe has been a recent weekly staple, and for good reason- it’s so easy and tastes incredible.
Table of Contents
- Quick. Compared to fried cod or baked haddock, using the air fryer cooks this fish in a fraction of the time.
- Perfect texture. Like with air fryer mahi mahi and air fryer tilapia, this recipe guarantees that it cooks perfectly every time. It is perfectly soft, flaky in the middle, and crispy on the outside! Also, like other white fish, there is NO fishy flavor.
- It’s healthy. This recipe uses just a touch of oil and no butter. It’s also naturally low in fat, high in protein, low carb, and keto.
- Easy cleanup. A major reason why I love the air fryer is that there is barely any mess, especially when I use air fryer liners!
- Cod fillets (cod loin). I like to use fresh cod filets from my fishmonger, as they have been cleaned and sliced correctly. Grocery store brands are okay, but they are sometimes NOT sliced against the grain, which affects the texture. Frozen cod fillets also work; just be sure to pat dry any excess ice.
- Olive oil. To cook the fish in the air fryer.
- Lemon juice. Fresh is best, but the bottled kind also works. Also, save a few lemon slices to serve.
- Spices. A simple spice mix featuring salt, pepper, dried thyme, oregano, paprika, chili powder, and garlic powder.
How to cook cod in the air fryer
I’ve included step-by-step photos below to make this recipe easy to follow at home. For the full printable recipe instructions and ingredient quantities, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1: Prep the cod. Pat dry the cod fillets with a paper towel. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil and lemon juice together. In another bowl, whisk the spices.
Step 2- Season. Brush the cod fillets with the lemon oil mix, then season the fish on all sides with the spice mix.
Step 3- Air fry. Add the seasoned cod to a greased air fryer basket (with cooking spray) and air fry for 8 minutes or until golden brown.
Step 4- Serve. Add sliced lemon and enjoy.
Recipe tips and variations
- You can check the internal temperature using a meat thermometer to avoid overcooking. As per the FDA, safe-to-eat fish should reach 145F. No meat thermometer? Ensure the cod is completely white/opaque and the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Choose cod fillets of the same thickness so the cooking time is the same throughout.v
- If you opt to use frozen cod, you don’t need to thaw it beforehand. Add an extra 2-3 minutes to compensate.
- Experiment with the seasonings. I used quite a variety of them, but use any you like, or even a pre-made one, like Old Bay Seasoning or even taco seasoning.
- Coat them in a tablespoon or two of panko bread crumbs for even crispier cod or if you want some breading.
- Serve with dipping sauces, like tartar sauce, hot honey sauce, or lemon herb butter.
How to store leftovers
To store: Place leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to five days.
To freeze: Let the fish cool completely, then transfer them to a shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to two months.
Reheating: You can reheat the fish in the air fryer or skillet. I like to use leftovers for fish tacos or to swap out the salmon in salmon bowls.
More air fryer seafood recipes to try
Air Fryer Cod
- Preheat the air fryer to 200C/400F.
- Pat dry the cod fillets with a paper towel. In one bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil. In another bowl, add all the spices.
- Brush each filet on both sides with the olive oil and lemon mixture. Season the fish on both sides with the spice mix.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the cod in it. Cook for 8 minutes or until golden brown.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.