Learn how to bake sweet potatoes in your air fryer. Ready in less than 20 minutes, they cook perfectly every single time!
You may already be familiar with my air fryer sweet potato fries, but have you tried using it to bake whole sweet potatoes? It has the wonderful taste of oven-baked sweet potatoes, but easier and faster, too! It’s our favorite way to cook them!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy. Flip, wait, flip, and that’s it! In less than twenty minutes, the potatoes are cooked to golden perfection.
- Healthier. Compared to oil and butter roasted potatoes, these have a fraction of the calories!
- Versatile. Serve with your favorite side meals, or use these as a vehicle for tacos or burritos; they taste great either way.
What we love about air fryer sweet potatoes is how easy these are to customize. Just like regular baked potatoes, you can use regular spices in your kitchen or keep it simple with a schmear of butter.
No need to go to the grocery store with a lengthy ingredient list, with just some basics, probably already available in your pantry. Here is what you’ll need:
- Sweet potatoes. Any size sweet potatoes will be good for the recipe, but if possible, choose ones of equal size.
- Olive oil.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
How to bake sweet potatoes in the air fryer
No need to turn the oven on, no mess to clean up, and no hassle. Just grab your air fryer and follow the easy steps to cook perfect air fried sweet potatoes.
Step 1- Prepare sweet potatoes for air frying
Start with making holes in sweet potatoes and then toss them in the olive oil, salt and pepper before air frying.
Step 2- Cook in the air fryer
Next, put them in the air fryer basket and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until they are soft.
Step 3- Slice and serve
Finally, cut in the middle to release some steam. Add some butter and/or your favorite toppings.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Shake the air fryer basket halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Cook sweet potatoes in batches if you’re making them for a huge gathering or party. Overcrowding can affect cooking time.
- If you’d like to enjoy sweet potatoes another way, try air fryer sweet potato fries.
Sweet potato baking times
The ideal temperature to bake the sweet potatoes is 20C/400F. Cooking time may vary, though, based on how big or small the sweet potatoes are. Also, take into consideration if you choose to dice or cube them, too.
Here are the ideal baking times:
- Diced sweet potatoes – 7 to 12 minutes
- Cubed sweet potatoes – 12 to 15 minutes
- Whole sweet potatoes – 20 to 50 minutes
Want to store leftovers for later? Here are the best practices for storing sweet potatoes:
To store: Put the leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled potatoes in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Ideally, reheat the sweet potatoes in the air fryer, but they are fine microwaved too.
More air fryer vegetables to try
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s not necessary to soak sweet potatoes before air frying because they don’t have the same amount of starch as you get in regular white potatoes.
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the air fryer to 200C/400F.
- Poke holes in the sweet potatoes, then rub them with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place them in the air fryer basket and air fry for 18-20 minutes, or until soft.
- Let the sweet potatoes sit for 5 minutes, before slicing and serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.