This air fryer French fries recipe yields crispy, crunchy, and healthier fries! Ready in minutes, they make the perfect side dish or snack.
As someone borderline obsessed with French fries, cooking French fries in the air fryer instead of the deep fryer is a no-brainer. And the best part? They are just as crisp and fluffy as you’d expect BUT without all the added oil and fats.
Like air fryer sweet potato fries, these are the kind of fries I feel good about serving my family without compromising on texture or taste.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- They use simple Ingredients. This recipe calls for potatoes and a few spices that you’ll likely already have in your pantry!
- It’s kid-friendly. These are the kind of fries I feel good serving my family. Cook up some hamburgers in the air fryer simultaneously to round out the meal.
- It’s fast. From prep to plate, these fries cook up in less than 15 minutes.
- Healthier. What I love most about this recipe is that you get the crunchy, crispy goodness of restaurant-quality French fries without the excessive calories you get with oil frying.
Homemade air fryer French fries are so easy, and besides the potatoes and seasonings, there isn’t anything else needed to make. Here is what you’ll need:
- Russet potatoes. These are the best kind of potatoes to use for fries because they have the perfect balance of starch and moisture. If you can’t find russet potatoes, Idaho potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes are a fab alternative.
- Olive oil. For air frying.
- Salt. To taste.
- Italian seasoning. I prefer using this pre-made blend of spices to give the potatoes that extra touch of flavor.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How to make French fries in the air fryer
Step 1- Prep the potatoes: After soaking in water to loosen any dirt, scrub it off to clean your potatoes. Once dry, cut them up into fries of even thickness.
Step 2- Season: Add the fries to a large mixing bowl and toss with the olive oil. Add the seasonings and give everything a gentle mix.
Step 3- Air fry: Place a single layer of potatoes in the greased air fryer basket and air fry at 200C/400F for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Step 4- Repeat: If you intend to make a lot of fries, repeat this process for as many batches as required until you have the desired amount of fries ready.
Can I bake these?
You can totally bake these fries in the oven. Oven baked French fries turn out crispy, fluffy, and perfectly cooked on all sides. Also, baking the fries is healthier than deep frying them.
To bake, prep the fries as instructed, then place them on a lined baking sheet. Bake at 200C/400F for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Recipe tips and variations
- Cut the fries evenly so that the fries all cook evenly and at the same time.
- If you have time, soak the potatoes for 30 minutes in cold water. This removes excess starch, which will yield a more crispy fry.
- Cook the fries in a single layer. If needed, batch-cook the fries because too many in the air fryer and they won’t cook properly and be a little soggy.
- Shaking the air fryer basket during the cooking process will ensure the fries are crispy on all sides.
- Serve these fries with fun sauces, including classics like ketchup, fry sauce, or BBQ sauce, or more unique ones like eel sauce or peanut sauce.
To store: Place leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to three days.
To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled fries in a shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to two months.
Reheating: Preheat your air-fryer and pop them in till they are ready to eat.
More air fryer recipes using potatoes
- Air fryer baked potato
- Air fryer baked sweet potato
- Air fryer potato wedges
- Air fryer smashed potatoes
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can use frozen French fries instead of fresh ones. The only difference is that the cooking time will increase by 5 minutes.
Once the edges are golden brown and the middle is soft to the touch, the fries are ready to be enjoyed.
If your fries aren’t overly crispy, the culprit is overcrowding the air fryer basket. If I’m making these fries for my family, I typically need to cook them in 2-3 batches.
Air Fryer French Fries
- Preheat the air fryer to 190C/380F.
- Scrub and clean the potatoes and slice them into ¼-inch fries.
- Add them to a mixing bowl then drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Add a single layer of potatoes into the air fryer basket and air fry for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through. If the fries aren’t completely cooked, cook a little longer.
- Repeat the process until all the fries are cooked.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.