These air fryer hamburgers are tender, juicy, and flavorful and take half the time of grilling! Easy to customize to a hit amongst kids and adults.
It’s no secret that we use our air fryer almost every night. It makes dinner prep ridiculously easy and we can make tons of our favorite protein in no time at all. This includes my air fryer lamb chops, air fryer chicken breast, and air fryer pork chops.
For something fun, we’ve recently been making air fryer hamburgers. Like with air fryer chicken patties and air fryer turkey burgers, they taste like they came off the grill but in a fraction of the time..and without the mess!
Table of Contents
Why I love this recipe
- Easy and fast. Made with simple ingredients and minimal prep time, these could not be any easier.
- Healthier. With less oil used, this recipe is far healthier than grilled or pan-fried hamburgers. Keep the air frying love going and pair it with some air fryer French fries (or air fryer sweet potato fries) for the ultimate combo.
- Easy to customize. Use different cuts of meat and add different spices- there are endless possibilities.
What we love about this recipe is just how incredible the texture is. You’ll literally feel the flavors bursting into your mouth with each bite!
Like traditional hamburgers or cheeseburgers, these use very simple ingredients that you already have in your pantry. Here is what you’ll need:
- Ground beef. I used lean ground beef, but any ground beef works.
- Spices. Onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
- Onion. Finely chopped or grated. I prefer the latter because it really does enhance the flavor.
- Worcestershire sauce. Balances the acidic elements in the patties mixture.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
- Burger fix-ins. American cheese, hamburger buns, mayonnaise, ketchup mustard, and burger veggies like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and pickles.
How to air fry hamburgers
I’ve included step-by-step photos below to make this recipe easy to follow at home. For the full printable recipe instructions and ingredient quantities, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1- make beef patties. Start by taking a large bowl and adding the beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and spices. Make 4 equal-sized patties.
Step 2- Prep the air fryer. Next, preheat the air fryer for several minutes. Once hot, add the patties to the air fryer basket.
Step 3- Air fry. Air fry the hamburger patties for 4 minutes per side, for 8 minutes.
Step 4- Add cheese (optional). Now, remove from the air fryer and add a piece of cheese on top. Assemble the burgers and enjoy them immediately.
Hamburger cooking temperatures
The cook time of the air fryer hamburgers really comes down to your preferred level of doneness. The best way to check is to use an instant read meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Use the following guide to know the temperature according to doneness:
- Rare: 115 to 120°F
- Medium-Rare: 120 to 125°F
- Medium: 130 to 135°F
- Medium-Well: 140 to 145°F
- Well-Done: 150 to 155°F
Recipe tips and variations
- While I prefer the natural grill marks the air fryer basket makes, for a completely mess-free experience, use air fryer liners or a disposable air fryer basket.
- Shape the patties into equal-sized portions so that they cook at the same time and evenly.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket if you cannot comfortably fit four patties in a single layer. If needed, cook them 2 at a time.
- Feel free to switch out the beef for ground turkey or ground chicken. You can even make my wagyu burgers or lamb burgers in the air fryer instead.
How to store leftovers
To store: Place leftover air fryer burgers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
To freeze: Wrap the cooked and cooled burger patties in aluminum foil, then place them in a freezer-safe bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Microwave the burger patties for 30-40 seconds or reheat in a skillet for a minute or two.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can cook raw hamburger meat in the air fryer, provided it is sturdy enough to hold its shape throughout.
When served without the bun, this burger recipe is naturally low in carbs. Pair it with keto buns for keto burgers. You can even use a lettuce wrap.
You should flip burgers in the air fryer to cook them evenly. Check the temperature and time carefully to flip them halfway through.
More air fryer dinner recipes to try
- Air fryer meatloaf
- Air fryer pork tenderloin
- Air fryer steak
- Air fryer chicken thighs
- Air fryer salmon
- Air fryer coconut shrimp
- Air fryer stuffed peppers
- Air fryer hot dogs
Air Fryer Hamburgers
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well.
- Shape the mixture into four hamburger patties.
- Grease an air fryer basket and place the four patties in there. Air fry at 200C/400F for 8-9 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Let the hamburger patties rest for 5 minutes, before assembling into burgers.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.