These air fryer brats are the easiest way to cook them! Super fast and without all the mess, these take just 10 minutes!
Sure, brats on the grill or baked in the oven are classics, but cooking them in the air fryer is an absolute game changer.
There is no oil or grease splattering, no messy kitchen, and they take barely any time. Honestly, besides the char marks, you won’t be able to differentiate between brats cooked in the air fryer and grilled ones!
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- Quick and easy. In just 10 minutes, your brats will be ready to enjoy.
- Healthier. Air frying brats are a convenient and efficient way to achieve a crispy exterior and juicy interior without using as much oil as traditional frying methods.
- Easy clean-up. Like bacon or turkey bacon, cooking brats on the stovetop or grill is always messy, thanks to the oil spluttering everywhere. With the air fryer? None of that at all! You can even line the baskets, too, so all you do at the end is throw it out.
What are brats?
Bratwurst sausages, commonly referred to as “brats,” are a type of German sausage. Typically made from beef, pork, and/or veal, they are seasoned with fragrant spices like nutmeg and paprika, and come in various flavors, including jalapeno and cheddar. The name “bratwurst” is derived from two German words: “brät,” which means “finely chopped meat,” and “wurst,” which means “sausage.”
- Bratwurst sausages. You can find these sausages at any grocery store. If this is your first time cooking bratwurst, stick with the original flavor and brand (Johnsonville or Boars Head), but if you have access to a butcher, try their homemade varieties or ones that have fillings and/or extras (like cheese or jalapenos!).
- Spray oil. To grease the air fryer basket.
How to make make brats in the air fryer
Preheat the air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 150C/300F. Spray some oil in the air fryer basket.
Cook bratwurst in the air fryer. Add the bratwurst in a single layer to the air fryer basket.
Cook the brats for 8-10 minutes while flipping halfway through until they cooked nicely without burning the edges.
Recipe tips and tricks
Use air fryer liners. I couldn’t live without my disposable air fryer liners. Essentially, these are purposely shaped parchment paper that you place in the air fryer basket. It works SO well for brats and sausages, because they don’t need the heat circulation to cook completely.
Bring the brats to room temperature. Like with steaks or other proteins, cooking the brats at room temperature will not only be quicker but will also cook them more evenly.
Flip the brats halfway through. Although not mandatory, I like to flip them halfway through just so both sides get ample browning.
Cook in batches. As with any air fryer recipe, always cook the brats in a single layer. If your air fryer can’t accommodate all your sausages, cook them one batch at a time.
To store: Place leftovers in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled brats in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to two months.
Reheating: Reheat the bratwurst in the microwave, non-stick pan, or air fryer.
More air fryer recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s not essential to pre-cook or boil the brats as the air fryer cooks them completely.
Checking the internal temperature is the best indication of whether the brats are cooked or not. The internal temperature of fully cooked brats should be 165F.
You can add frozen bratwurst to the air fryer without thawing. Cook them for 9 minutes per side.
Yes! Pre-cooked brats will need a reduced cooking time. Cook them for a total of 9 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Air fryer Brats
- 6 bratwurst uncooked
- 1 serving cooking spray
- Preheat the air fryer to 150C/300F. Spray oil in an air fryer basket.
- Add the bratwurst in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.