These air fryer sweet potato fries are perfectly crispy, fluffy, and take just 10 minutes to cook! They are a healthy way to enjoy fries with a fraction of the fat!
Growing up, I was a fast food kid. On a weekly basis, I’d enjoy French fries, potato chips, and any other salty snack you can think of. When I started a healthier diet, I had to make some smart swaps.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Healthy and low fat. Traditional sweet potato fries are deep fried and contain tons of saturated fat. By air frying the sweet potatoes, you reduce the fat exponentially.
- Ready in 10 minutes. Unlike oven baked fries, these take a fraction of the time.
- Crispy and crunchy. A secret trick guarantees the fries are crispy and crunchy every single time.
What I love about this kind of sweet potato fries is just how delicious they taste. Pair it with some dipping sauce and you’ll be in foodie heaven. If you adore all things potatoes, try air frying a baked potato or baked sweet potato.
With key ingredients like olive oil and spices, there really isn’t much that goes on to make this recipe. Here is what you’ll need:
- Sweet potatoes- Choose small to medium-sized potatoes so that they fit in the air fryer.
- Olive oil- To sprinkle on the fries before putting them in the air fryer.
- Seasonings- Salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
How to make sweet potato fries in the air fryer
Step 1- Peel and cut sweet potatoes
Wash the sweet potatoes to remove any hidden dirt. Peel the potatoes, pat them dry, then cut them into the shape of French fries.
Step 2– Season the sweet potatoes
Add the freshly cut sweet potatoes in a bowl, drizzle some olive oil and mix well. Toss through the spices.
Step 3- Air fry them
Assemble a single layer of seasoned sweet potatoes into the base of an air fryer basket. Allow them to air fry for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Step 4- Repeat the process
If you have excess potatoes, cook those too.
Serve the hot with a dipping sauce for sweet potato fries.
Can I make this in the oven?
If you’d like to make oven baked sweet potato fries, simply prepare them as instructed. When ready to bake, add them to a preheated oven (200C/400F) and bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Always cook air fryer sweet potato fries in a single layer to allow enough air circulation required to make the fries crispy.
- If you have extra time on hand, soak the fries in cold water for 30 minutes. This removes excess starch and gives the fries a fluffier middle while being crispy on the outside.
- Shake the air fryer basket several times during the cooking process, so the fries cook evenly.
What to serve with sweet potato fries
You can literally pair sweet potato fries with a savory breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to three days.
- To Freeze: Place the cooked and cooled fries in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either in a preheated oven or in the air fryer.
For more air fryer vegetables to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Use frozen fries instead of fresh ones if you like! Simply increase the cooking time by 5 minutes and shake the air fryer basket several times throughout the cooking process.
While any oil works, oils that work best with high heat settings (with a high smoke point) like peanut oil and avocado oil are best.
If you stack the fries on top of one another or if you overcrowd the air fryer basket, you risk the fries turning out soggy.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries In 10 Minutes | Crispy And Delicious
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Pat them dry then slice them into fries.
- In a mixing bowl, add the potatoes and toss through the oil. Add the salt, pepper, and smoked paprika, and rub over the fries.
- Place the sweet potato fries in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the potatoes at 200C/400F for 10 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Remove the potatoes from the air fryer and serve with dipping sauce.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.