This air fryer turkey breast is extra juicy and tender and takes a fraction of the time if baked in the oven!
Have you tried cooking lean cuts of meat in the air fryer? When done correctly, it tastes absolutely amazing and cooks fast.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- Extra juicy and tender. Using an air fryer ensures the meat is cooked perfectly every single time- no over-cooked bits!
- Healthy. Turkey is one of the leanest meats out there. Because we use the air fryer instead of the oven, we skip adding butter or oil during the cooking process.
- Festive. Cut the stress from Thanksgiving and Christmas by cooking this holiday staple in this magical kitchen gadget.
What I love most about this air fryer turkey breast recipe is that it is a much easier and more convenient option than a traditional roast turkey! Besides, the breast meat is always the best part!
If you are familiar with roasting poultry, then you’ll notice the ingredient list is almost identical. Here is what you’ll need:
- Turkey breast. Choose a boneless turkey breast that has its skin intact. The skin will retain the juices, and you can discard it once the turkey is cooked.
- Garlic. Chopped finely.
- Salt and black pepper. To season.
- Poultry seasoning. The secret ingredient that takes this meat to another level.
- Fresh rosemary. Just a sprig of rosemary for a touch of flavor.
- Butter. Melted. You can also use olive oil if you prefer.
How to air fry turkey breast
Cooking turkey breast in the air fryer may look impressive, but honestly, it’s such a foolproof method that you’ll never go back to oven roasting!
Step 1- Make the herb butter. Melt your butter and add it to a mixing bowl with garlic and rosemary. Whisk it up well till everything is thoroughly combined.
Step 2- Season the turkey. Take the remaining half of the butter mix prepared earlier and put on the turkey breast until it is covered. Season with salt and pepper before drizzling the remaining butter on top. Rub on the poultry seasoning so it sticks.
Step 3- Air fry the turkey breast. Lay the turkey breast skin side down into the air fryer basket. Air fry at 180C/350F for 20-25 minutes. Once it reaches an internal temperature of 160F, it is cooked and ready to eat.
Step 4- Rest and serve. Once out of the air fryer, lay it on a serving plate and let it rest for 5 minutes before you begin carving.
Air fryer turkey cooking time
Turkey breasts come in different weights, so we’ve tested out the best cooking times depending on the size of the bird.
- 1 pound breast meat: 17-20 minutes
- 2 pounds of breast meat: 30 minutes
- 3 pounds of breast meat: 45-50 minutes
For every extra pound of turkey, add 8-10 minutes of extra time.
Of course, also use an instant-read thermometer to check the doneness of the meat. Turkey is safe to eat once it reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Use fresh Turkey. Like anything, fresh turkey breast will turn out way better than a frozen one. If you only have a frozen turkey on hand, just be sure to thaw it completely then pat it dry with paper towel before seasoning it.
- Let the mixture sit. If you let the melted butter and herb mixture sit for a while, the flavor of the herb really comes out. For this, 10 minutes should do the trick, but I sometimes keep it overnight, and let’s me just say, the flavor is incredible!
- Use hands. Sure, it is a little bit messier, but trust me on this. Using your hands to rub the butter and seasonings on the turkey instead of utensils makes all the difference.
What to serve with turkey
Besides the classic stuffing or holiday side dishes, you can pair this turkey with almost anything. Here are some favorites:
Grains and starches. Cook your favorite pasta or steam some rice.
To store. Place leftovers in an airtight container before refrigerating it. It retains the juices and keeps them moist for 3-4 days.
To freeze. Put the turkey breast slices in freezer bags, and after getting out all the air, you can freeze them for up to 6 months.
To reheat. When ready to consume again, just grease up the air fryer basket and put the turkey in till heated to desire.
More air fryer recipes to try
- Air fryer chicken thighs
- Air Fryer steak
- Air fryer hamburgers
- Air fryer pork tenderloin
- Air fryer fried chicken
- Air fryer cornish hen
Frequently asked questions
A three pound turkey breast may take between 45 to 50 minutes to cook in the air fryer.
It takes around 17 minutes to cook one pound of turkey breast in the air fryer.
If you’d like to use the drippings to make gravy, add a thick layer of tin foil to the base of the air fryer.
Air Fryer Turkey Breast
- Preheat the air fryer to 180C/350F.
- Whisk the melted butter with the garlic and rosemary until combined.
- Rub half the butter mix all over the turkey, then season With salt and pepper. Drizzle with the remaining butter then rub the poultry seasoning all over.
- Place the turkey breast, skin side down, into the air fryer basket.
- Cook the turkey for 17-20 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160F.
- Let your turkey rest for 5 minutes, before slicing.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.