These air fryer Brussels sprouts are perfectly crispy and tender and take less than 15 minutes to make! Simple ingredients and perfect every single time.
Cooking vegetables in the air fryer has been an absolute kitchen hack for us.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy. The magic of an air fryer is that it significantly reduces the cooking time without affecting its texture.
- Low in fat. Minimal oil is added, which cuts down on calories while keeping the flavor the same.
- Easy to customize. We’ve kept things simple with the seasonings, but you can go to town and jazz up with your favorite cheeses, herbs, and spices.
I thought that twice cooking the sprouts was the best way to cook them but that is not the case. This recipe made in the air fryer completely transforms them- Crispy on the outside, soft in the middle, and well seasoned… these will be your favorite way to enjoy this vegetable.
Ingredients you’ll need
You’ll love the basic ingredient list for this recipe. Besides the sprouts, you probably have everything on hand as we speak! Here is what you’ll need:
- Brussels sprouts. Choose fresh and firm sprouts that have no visible black spots or yellow patches.
- Olive oil. It’s required for enhancing the flavors of the seasonings. You can use avocado oil too as an alternative.
- Seasonings. You’ll need smoked paprika, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and parmesan cheese as seasonings for this recipe.
- Parmesan cheese. Optional, but recommended.
How to make air fryer Brussels sprouts
Simple is an understatement for making these sprouts. The air fryer takes care of all the hard work so, besides a few seconds of preparation, it’s very much hands-off.
Ready to whip some up?
Step 1- Prep the sprouts
Add the freshly trimmed sprouts to a mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, seasonings, and parmesan cheese, and mix well.
Step 2- Air fry the sprouts
Place the Brussels sprouts in a single layer in the air fryer basket and air fry for 10-15 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Step 3- Serve
Remove the sprouts from the air fryer and serve with your favorite dipping sauces or dinner of choice.
The beauty of this dish is just how easy it is to customize. While we love enjoying them as is, we sometimes change it up for some variety. Here are some ideas:
- Brussels sprouts with balsamic: Similar to my roasted sprouts with balsamic, drizzle a little balsamic halfway through.
- Add bacon: What else is a better pairing for sprouts? Toss finely chopped bacon halfway through.
- Air fryer frozen Brussels sprouts: Use frozen sprouts instead of fresh ones and increase the air frying time by 6 minutes.
- Brussels sprouts with honey: For a sweet and salty combination, drizzle some honey once the sprouts are cooked.
Tip to make the best recipe
- Shake the air fryer basket several times for an even crisp and to keep the air circulating.
- Soak the Brussels sprouts for 10 minutes. Like in French fries or sweet potato fries, this removes some starch and yields even crispier sprouts.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket as this ensures the sprouts all cook evenly and consistently.
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled sprouts in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the sprouts for 10-20 seconds or reheat in the air fryer for a minute or two.
More air fryer vegetables to try
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t shake the air fryer basket throughout the cooking process, you risk the sprouts burning before they are fully cooked.
While air-frying sprouts without oil will cook them, they won’t be soft in the middle. Adding even a touch of oil yields the most perfect texture.
If you overcrowd the air fryer basket, there is a high chance that the sprouts will not be crispy.
Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- In a mixing bowl, add the Brussels sprouts then add the oil and mix well. Add the seasonings and mix until combined.
- Add the seasoned Brussels sprouts to an air fryer basket and air fry at 200C/400F for 10 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Transfer into a bowl and serve immediately.