These air fryer Brussels sprouts are perfectly crispy and tender and take less than 15 minutes to make, thanks to the air fryer! Simple ingredients and perfect every single time.
Sometimes you can cook a vegetable so perfectly, you’d think they were sinful. Enter: air fryer Brussels sprouts.
Crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy in the middle, and well seasoned…these will be your favorite way to enjoy this vegetable.
I thought that twice cooking the sprouts was the best way to cook them but that is not the case. The magic of the air fryer not only reduces the cooking time, but cooks them evenly. There is also minimal oil required, so it cuts down on the calories WITHOUT affecting the flavor or texture!
Ingredients you’ll need
This air fryer Brussels sprouts recipe is very basic: you need Brussels sprouts, oil, and a few seasonings. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Brussels sprouts. Choose fresh and firm sprouts that have no visible black spots or yellow patches.
- Olive oil. It’s required for enhancing the flavors of the seasonings. You can use avocado oil too as an alternative.
- Seasonings. You’ll need smoked paprika, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and parmesan cheese as seasonings for this recipe.
- Parmesan cheese. Optional, but recommended.
How to make air fryer Brussels sprouts
This recipe doesn’t demand much effort from you. All you have to do is assemble the Brussels sprouts, add the olive oil and seasonings and leave the rest on the air fryer. Here are the basic steps to cook Brussels sprouts in the air fryer:
- Prep: Add the freshly trimmed sprouts to a mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, seasonings, and parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Air fry: Place the Brussels sprouts in a single layer in the air fryer basket and air fry for 10-15 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Serve: Remove the sprouts from the air fryer and serve with your favorite dipping sauces or dinner of choice.
The beauty of this dish is just how easy it is to customize. While we love enjoying them as is, we sometimes change it up for some variety. Here are some ideas:
- Brussels sprouts with balsamic: Similar to my roasted sprouts with balsamic, drizzle a little balsamic halfway through.
- Add bacon: What else is a better pairing for sprouts? Toss through finely chopped bacon halfway through.
- Air fryer frozen Brussels sprouts: Use frozen sprouts instead of fresh ones and increase the air frying time for 6 minutes.
- Brussels sprouts with honey: For a sweet and salty combination, drizzle some honey once the sprouts are cooked.
Tip to make the best recipe
- Shake the air fryer basket several times for an even crisp and to keep the air circulating.
- Soak the Brussels sprouts for 10 minutes. Like in French fries or sweet potato fries, this removes some starch and yields even crispier sprouts.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer. This ensures the sprouts all cook evenly and consistently.
Wondering what is the best way to store leftover air fried Brussels sprouts? Here are best practices for Brussels sprouts storage:
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled sprouts in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the sprouts for 10-20 seconds or reheat in the air fryer for a minute or two.
What to serve with Brussels sprouts?
I could literally eat these sprouts with anything, and if you need some ideas, try some of this:
- All kinds of chicken like chicken breasts, thighs, drumsticks, or wings.
- Hearty mains like a zucchini or eggplant lasagna.
- Grilled fish including red snapper, grouper, or mahi mahi.
- With a sandwich or burger, as a healthier side dish than chips or fries.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no need to heat up the air fryer before adding the sprouts.
Besides an air fryer, there are no fancy tools or gadgets needed.
Brussels sprouts are fantastic low carb vegetable with just 3 grams of net carbs. They make a fantastic keto side dish.
Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- In a mixing bowl, add the Brussels sprouts then add the oil and mix well. Add the seasonings and mix until combined.
- Add the seasoned Brussels sprouts to an air fryer basket and air fry at 200C/400F for 10 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Transfer into a bowl and serve immediately.