An easy recipe that turns two humble vegetables into a side dish perfect for any occasion. These roasted carrots and potatoes are tender on the outside, fluffy and soft in the middle.
Seasoned with salt and pepper and baked in the oven until golden, this roasted potatoes and carrots recipe is a real lifesaver when unsure what to serve with the main dish you plan to serve.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy. Chop the veggies, season them, and pop them in the oven. This is all you need to do for this recipe.
- Ready in 40 minutes. Preparing the veggies and baking them in the oven takes no time. While you wait, make the main dish to go with it (may we suggest marry me chicken or lemon pepper chicken?).
- A crowd-pleasing side dish. Everyone adores potatoes and carrots, even the fussiest of eaters!
Carrots, potatoes, and three other cooking staples are all you need to make this versatile side dish.
- Carrots. Choose large carrots.
- Potatoes. Waxy and floury potatoes work best for roasting. Try Yukon or Russet potatoes.
- Olive oil. To drizzle over the vegetables before roasting them.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
How to make roasted potatoes and carrots
This roasted vegetable recipe is very simple.
Start by preheating the oven to 400F degrees. While the oven heats, quarter the potatoes and cut the carrots into 1-inch pieces. Add the vegetables to a large mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the seasoned vegetables on a lined baking dish and roast for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Once the vegetables are cooked, sprinkle with a touch more salt and some freshly chopped parsley.
- Use more spices and herbs. Using other spices is a great way to enhance your oven-baked veggies. Garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika are common spices that go well with these vegetables. Thyme, oregano, and rosemary will add more flavor to them too.
- Sprinkle with parmesan. If you don’t need to keep this dish vegan, sprinkle the veggies with grated parmesan once they are out of the oven and still piping hot.
- Add more veggies. There is no reason why you can’t add more vegetables to the potatoes and carrots. Consider the baking time of the vegetables you are using. If they cook faster, add them halfway through the baking time.
What to serve with this
As noted earlier, this recipe is very versatile regarding the main dishes it pairs well with. Whether you plan to serve a vegan meal or dishes made with animal protein, oven-baked potatoes and carrots are great for holding dinner together. Here are some serving suggestions:
If you are a fan of pork, try 3-2-1 Ribs or a pork tenderloin. Chicken is always a good idea; you can go the classic route, like a whole chicken, or something a little more unique, like Peruvian chicken. Other poultry works well, like a simple turkey breast or turkey burger.
- To store. Place leftovers in an airtight container. They will last up to 3 days in the fridge.
- To reheat. Reheat the vegetables in an oven preheated to 400F degrees. Bake them for 5 minutes or until heated through.
More vegetable side dishes to try
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can freeze cooked potatoes and carrots. Place them in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Parboiling the potatoes before roasting them is optional. It is an extra step you can take to ensure that roasted potatoes are soft inside but crispy on the outside.
Potatoes take longer to cook than carrots. If you are cooking potatoes and carrots together, cut the carrots into larger pieces to make sure they cook at the same time.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Roasted Potatoes And Carrots recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Roasted Potatoes And Carrots
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking dish with parchment paper.
- Quarter your potatoes and chop the carrots into 2-inch pieces. Place them in a large mixing bowl and drizzle olive oil on top. Season with salt and pepper and gently mix together.
- Transfer the seasoned vegetables onto the lined dish and roast for 30-35 minutes, flipping the vegetables halfway through.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.