This air fryer zucchini is a low carb and keto veggie side dish that takes minutes to make! Made with just 2 main ingredients, they are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle!
Air Fryer Zucchini
Ever since buying my air fryer, I’ve been obsessed with cooking my vegetables this way. It’s so much tastier than steaming or microwaving them, and they taste delicious.
Why air fry zucchini?
- It’s healthier. Fried zucchini would use up to 1/4 cup of cooking oil (sometimes even 1/2 a cup!). When you air fry it instead, you reduce the fat by up to 90%. Take this recipe for example. For the entire recipe, you’ll only need a tablespoon!
- Less than 10 minutes. Baked zucchini usually takes around 45 minutes and pan-fried zucchini closer to 15 minutes. Air frying takes a mere 8 minutes!
- No mess. No parchment paper, just one mixing bowl, and no washing up needed!
- Extra crispy. The high heat paired with the aerated basket ensures extra crispiness on the outside!
The texture of this air fried zucchini is crispy on the edges and perfectly soft in the middle. It’s easy to customize with your favorite spices, but I love to keep it simple with salt and pepper!
When you need a veggie side dish in a pinch or want a healthy appetizer to serve, zucchini slices cooked in the air fryer are your answer! I love serving these on the side of some keto lasagna or even as a topping on keto pizza.
How do you cook zucchini in the air fryer?
- Zucchini– Fresh and firm zucchini, sliced into half-inch coins.
- Olive oil– Just a small amount to give the slices a crisp exterior and a soft center.
- Salt and pepper– To taste. Don’t go overboard with this as you can always add more once it has been air fried.
Start by adding the zucchini coins into a mixing bowl. Add the oil, salt, and pepper, and mix very well, until the zucchini is coated in the oil and seasonings.
Next, lightly grease the air fryer basket and add the zucchini to it. Air fry the zucchini at 200C/400F for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through. Serve the zucchini immediately.
Tips to make the best air fried zucchini
- Do not oversalt the zucchini, as it can draw moisture from the vegetable, so, add a minimal amount then if it isn’t salty enough once they have been air fired.
- Cut the zucchini slices into equal sized coins. This ensures they all cook evenly throughout.
- To get those gorgeous grill marks, add a grill pan into the air fryer basket.
- Feel free to add your favorite spices and seasonings to it, like red pepper flakes, chili powder, or garlic powder.
Storing, freezing, and reheating zucchini
- To store: Zucchini can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep well for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Place leftover zucchini in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To reheat: If the pre-frozen zucchini has been thawed (or previously refrigerated), you can add it to the air fryer basket and reheat at 200C/400F for 4 minutes, flipping halfway through.
More air fryer recipes to try
Air Fryer Zucchini (Low Carb!)
- 2 large zucchini sliced into coins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, add your sliced zucchini, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- Transfer the zucchini into an air fryer basket or, if you'd like grill marks, add the grill pan to an air fryer basket. Cook the zucchini for 10 minutes at 200C/400F, shaking the basket every 3 minutes.
- Remove the zucchini from the air fryer and serve immediately.