These strawberry oatmeal bars are a healthy and wholesome breakfast! Loaded with fresh strawberries and sweetened with banana, these healthy strawberry bars recipe needs just 4 ingredients!
Healthy Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
What started off as a recipe for strawberry granola bars quickly changed into strawberry breakfast bars, when I found myself changing the texture just a little bit.
The texture of these bars is thick, chewy, buttery, and soft in the center, perfect for what you want from a breakfast bar!
Taste-wise, they are sweet and loaded with strawberry flavor, with slight hints of banana. The peanut butter gives it the buttery flavor, without any butter needed. They remind me of strawberry oat squares!
No butter, no oil, and zero milk needed, they are a delicious vegan and gluten-free breakfast!
How to make strawberry oatmeal bars
The Ingredients (and substitution ideas!)
- Rolled oats– I used gluten-free rolled oats, to keep these breakfast bars gluten-free. Avoid using quick oats or steel-cut oats, as they require different amounts of the other ingredients.
- Peanut Butter– Smooth and drippy peanut butter, with no added salt or sugar. You can also use almond butter if you’d like to make these without peanut butter.
- Banana– The riper the banana, the sweeter these bars will be! Banana also helps hold the bars together, without the need for eggs or butter!
- Strawberries– Obviously needed for a strawberry recipe! Reserve a few sliced up to top the bars with.
- Vanilla Extract– Optional, but I love the subtle flavor it adds.
- Chocolate Chips– Again, optional, but you can never go wrong with some chocolate chips!
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan or baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, combine your rolled oats, mashed banana, peanut butter, and vanilla extract and mix well, until fully incorporated. Fold in your chocolate chips and chopped strawberries using a rubber spatula.
- Step 3: Transfer your batter into the lined pan and spread out in an even layer. Top with extra strawberries and chocolate chips, before baking for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the center.
- Step 4: Allow the bars to cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 5: Using a sharp knife, slice into 8 bars.
Strawberry bars with frozen strawberries
Fresh strawberries are best, as the texture remains consistent throughout, and will also yield a sweetener cookie.
If you only have access to frozen strawberries, be sure to thaw them completely, and use a paper towel to soak up any extra moisture.
Strawberry Breakfast Bars Tips
- Oven makes and models vary, so the time offered in just an average. Your bars should be moist in the center and will continue to cook while cooling down. Avoid adding extra strawberries or chocolate chips, as this will change the texture.
- Be sure to use certified gluten-free rolled oats or gluten-free quick cooking oats to keep it 100% gluten-free.
- These strawberry bars rely on the banana, chocolate chips, and strawberries for sweetness. If you prefer a sweeter cookie, add some liquid stevia or a dash of maple syrup.
- Keep these bars nut-free and peanut-free, by using either sunflower seed butter, wow butter or tahini.
- Strawberry oatmeal bars make a fantastic lunch box snack and can easily be packaged up for them. Simply wrap them in parchment paper to avoid it falling apart.
- Feel free to switch up the fruit- Raspberries, blackberries, pineapple, and chopped apple are all fantastic options. These are easy to adapt fruit oat bars!
- To store: Strawberry breakfast bars should be stored in the refrigerator, in a sealable container. They will keep well for up to 7 days.
- To freeze: Freezing breakfast bars are a fantastic idea for quick grab-and-go breakfasts, or make this as part of meal prep! Place individual bars in ziplock bags, and keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw them in the fridge the night before you want to enjoy them.
More healthy strawberry recipes
- Strawberry banana bread
- Overnight Oats
- Strawberry oatmeal cookies
- 3 Ingredient Strawberry Ice Cream
- Strawberry Brownies
Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your oats, banana, peanut butter, and vanilla extract and mix until fully incorporated. Fold in your strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter in the lined pan and spread out on an even layer. Top with extra chocolate chips and strawberry, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden on the edges and a skewer comes out clean from the center.
- Allow the bars to cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.