A delicious, moist and fluffy tiramisu flavoured cake which takes 1 minute to whip up in the microwave! It’s low calorie, gluten free and comes with a trialled and tested vegan, high protein and paleo version- For those without a microwave, there’s an oven version too!
Happy Wednesday friends and welcome to another What I ate Wednesday Par-tay! I didn’t intend to share a recipe today but it IS tiramisu/coffee loaded week and today’s recipe is simply too good to share.
Confession- I am actually the biggest goose out there. For the last couple of weeks, I’d been having trouble sleeping and could not pin point what it was. I hadn’t changed my coffee consumption and I was waking up at my standard earlier time.
Then it hit me. I’d been trialling out a plethora of ‘tiramisu’ inspired recipes which were cocoa and espresso dense. These snack attacks would usually occur in the afternoons and as such, would result in sleepless nights. Oh well, the things you for for recipes. Before I share this delicious recipe, let’s see what else was eaten from last week!
Breakfast- I had some errands to do in Manhattan so went early and set up camp in Pret a Manger. I ordered the California Club (I think) and it had turkey, avocado, a boiled egg and leaves. It was actually really disappointing and I added two packets of salt. It was also overpriced. I wanted to get the popcorn but remembered I have a recipe coming up this week and had leftovers.
Lunch- Not going to lie, I ate a blueberry donut from Dunkin Donuts on my way home from the city. It wasn’t very satisfying and hence, no picture. I also snacked on one of the tiramisu cakes (the paleo version which I went overboard the the eggs and was like a fluffy sponge).
Dinner- I went to a friend’s work event for a little bit and they had a buffet. I had steak, pesto salad and some leaves. I went back for more leaves because the dressing was probably made from HFCS and it was amazing.
Dessert- Because recipes need taste testing, right?
Okay, now let’s see the main event here- The healthy one minute tiramisu cake.
I’ve been on a microwave cake kick lately as evidenced by this creation here. When I declared a week of tiramisu recipes, of course I had to flavour on with some
zing coffee. This healthy 1 minute tiramisu cake is the perfect dessert or anytime snack which tastes amazing and is actually healthy for you. Clocking in at under 100 calories, not only is it naturally gluten free and sugar free, I also tested it successfully to cater for my vegan and paleo friends! Similar to the vanilla version, this tiramisu cake is so darn fluffy, you could…..um, eat it?
A note though- For those familiar with baking/cooking with flax eggs, I’ve found they don’t come out as fluffy as when using egg whites like the standard version calls for. Furthermore, sometimes using a whole egg also makes it slightly more flat- Just an FYI!
Make this healthy 1 minute tiramisu cake and add some zing before you sleep.
- 1 1/2 T coconut flour
- 1 T almond flour (can sub for any flour of choice but will no longer be paleo friendly)
- 1 tsp dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder (can substitute for an extra tsp dark cocoa powder)
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 T granulated sweetener of choice (I used a paleo friendly stevia blend)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white (for a vegan version, use 1 flax egg)*
- 1 T coconut milk**
- 2 T + dairy free milk of choice***
- Handful of bittersweet chocolate chunks
- 1 tsp dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp granulated sweetener of choice (I've used coconut palm sugar and a monk fruit stevia blend)
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the dairy free creamer, dairy free milk with the egg white (or flax egg) and whisk lightly. Add the mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Stir through bittersweet chunks.
- Grease a large mug or deep bowl (I used a cereal bowl) generously and pour the batter in it and microwave for 50 seconds-2 minutes (Depending on brand and wattage).
- Remove from bowl and enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease a large ramekin with oil and set aside.
- Follow directions as above and once ready, bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- * You can use a whole egg but as mentioned earlier, it will be slightly more flat
- ** I used So delicious dairy free creamer
- *** You may need more depending on what flour you use
Your turn! Let’s see what your day of eating entails! Link up your full day of eats and check out those who’ve joined the party!
How well do you handle your caffeine?
When was the last time you ate at a buffet? Oh man, I need to find out the HFCS spiked dressing.
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld