These cream cheese stuffed peppers are a simple yet elegant appetizer that needs just 6 ingredients! Low in carbs but full of flavor, they take just five minutes to prep.
I’m always on the lookout for low carb appetizers. Sure, I could stick with cheeses and crudites, but sometimes, I like something a little fancy. Enter stuffed mini peppers which are possibly my all-time favorite.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Deceptively easy. This may look super fancy but they come together in no time.
- Just 6 Ingredients. Count them yourself- there are just 6 ingredients needed.
- Naturally low in carbs. If you follow a keto diet, these are perfect for you.
What I love about this recipe is just how quick and easy it is to make! It’s the perfect appetizer to serve before something made with chicken (like crack chicken or a chicken parmesan) or when you feel like having dinner made up of finger food!
This recipe is very simple, and the ingredients reflect that. Everything can be found at any basic grocery store. Here is what you’ll need:
- Mini bell peppers. A mix of red, yellow, and orange peppers.
- Cream cheese. Full fat cream cheese that has been softened to room temperature.
- Garlic powder. Adds a subtle garlic flavor.
- Parmesan cheese. Freshly grated parmesan cheese, not the pre-shredded kind!
- Green onion. Adds a light, peppery kick, without being overpowering.
- Baby spinach. For the cream cheese filling.
- Shredded cheese. To cover the cream cheese peppers before baking them in the oven. I like using a Mexican cheese blend, but mozzarella or cheddar work.
How to make cream cheese stuffed peppers?
Start by slicing your mini peppers lengthways, then removing any seeds and membranes inside.
Next, prepare the filling by mixing all the ingredients, except for the shredded cheese.
Now, stuff the peppers with the cream cheese mixture, ensuring they are tightly packed into them. Place the stuffed peppers onto a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is golden around the edges.
Remove the peppers from the oven and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Be sure to stuff the mini peppers very well. If there are leftover peppers, that is okay.
- Add extra spices like smoked paprika or red pepper flakes, for a spicy kick.
- If you can’t find mini bell peppers, you can use full sized ones, provided they are on the smaller side.
The beauty of these mini peppers is just how easy to customize with a plethora of different fillings. Here are some ideas:
- Cheese– Instead of cream cheese, use goat cheese, boursin cheese, or even whipped feta cheese.
- Protein– Add chopped bacon, sausage, or even ground turkey.
- Vegetables– Finely shredded zucchini, mushrooms, or sun-dried tomatoes.
- Use larger peppers– Swap out the mini peppers for whole sized ones and serve them as a meal.
- To store: Leftovers can be stored at room temperature, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled cream cheese peppers in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Cream cheese bell peppers should always be enjoyed warm, so either reheat them in a preheated oven or air fryer.
More appetizer recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Unless you are making meal-sized stuffed peppers, there is no need to cook them before stuffing them. These are mini bell peppers and there is a risk of them becoming soggy if cooked for too long.
Peppers with cream cheese are a low carb and high protein snack, and relatively healthy. While higher in fat than some other appetizers, they are full of fiber and other nutrients to balance it out.
Each mini bell pepper with cream cheese has just 50 calories.
Cream cheese stuffed peppers
- 1 lb mini bell peppers a mix of orange, yellow, and red
- 12 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese freshly gated
- 3 stalks green onions finely sliced
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the bell peppers lengthways and remove the seeds. In a mixing bowl, mix all the all the ingredients, except the shredded cheese.
- Place the stuffed peppers on the lined sheet and cover with the shredded cheese.
- Bake the peppers for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.