Wondering how many grams are in an ounce? This weight conversion guide will make it easy to convert measurements, especially for cooking and recipes.
Almost every country outside of the United States uses the metric system, which makes it difficult for those who come across recipes listing ounces, cups, and/or tablespoons. Luckily, you can easily convert them to make cooking a breeze!
How many grams are in an ounce?
An ounce contains 28 grams. The information below will make different grams and ounces conversions easy for you.
- 14 grams = ½ ounce (0.49383546729 oz.)
- 28 grams = 1 ounce (0.98767093459 oz.)
- 30 grams = 1 ounce (1.0582188585 oz.)
- 57 grams = 2 ounces (2.0106158311 oz.)
- 60 grams = 2 ounces (2.116437717 oz.)
- 85 grams = 3 ounces (2.9982867657 oz.)
- 113 grams = 4 ounces, ¼ pound (3.9859577003 oz.)
- 114 grams = 4 ounces, ¼ pound (4.0212316623 oz.)
- 115 grams = 4 ounces, ¼ pound (4.0565056242 oz.)
- 170 grams = 6 ounces (170.09712 oz.)
- 225 grams = 8 ounces, ½ pound (7.9366414387 oz.)
- 227 grams = 8 ounces, ½ pound (8.0071893626 oz.)
- 340 grams = 12 ounces, ¾ pound (11.993147063 oz.)
- 454 grams = 16 ounces, 1 pound (16.014378725)
- 455 grams = 16 ounces, 1 pound (16.049652687 oz.)
- 907 grams = 32 ounces, 2 pounds (31.993483488 oz)
- 908 grams = 32 ounces, 2 pounds (32.02875745 oz.)
American vs Standard
Unlike other countries, America doesn’t use grams for recipes and measuring the weight of foods. They only use this unit when they are manufacturing a food item or trading it internationally. Besides grams, litres is the unit that is commonly used for manufacturing and trade.
In American recipes, you’ll see the ingredients written as ounces. For many recipes (desserts, main courses, or breakfasts), you’ll notice cups and tablespoons as the sole unit of measurement. However, if you live outside of America, or want a more accurately measured recipe, understanding the ounce to grams conversion is essential.
How to measure dry weight?
The best way to measure dry weight is to use a simple kitchen scale (also known as a food scale). It is so simple to use- all you do is select the ‘tare’ button which sets the scale at zero. From there, you can start adding dry ingredients and it will provide an accurate weight.
Alternatively, if you want to measure butter, sugar or flour (like for cakes or brownies), you’ll also need measuring spoons and cups. While adding flour, sugar or butter to the measuring cups, press it with a flat tool or knife to remove the extra ingredient. Then put the container or measuring cup on the kitchen scale to calculate its dry weight.
How to convert grams to oz easily?
Follow the simple formula to convert grams to ounces easily.
Weight in ounces = weight in grams / 28.34952
For example, if you have 5 grams and want to convert them to ounces, you’ll get 0.17637 ounces by using this formula.
Metric system: What is it and who uses it?
The metric system is an international system of units. It’s used by almost every country, except the United States, Liberia, and Myanmar. These countries use the customary system of units.
For example, in the metric system, we measure dry weight in grams. In the customary system, we measure it in ounces.
More cooking resources
Frequently asked questions
An ounce of protein contains approximately 7 grams (of protein).
An ounce of chicken equals 28 grams (or protein).
For most meats, there are 7 grams in an ounce (of protein).
It depends on the liquid ingredient. Milk, water, and oil all have different textures and will yield different weights.
An ounce of butter has 28 grams.
There are 28 grams in an ounce of chocolate.
An ounce of sugar approximately weighs 25 grams.