These healthy flourless blueberry breakfast muffins are fluffy on the inside and tender on the outside and the perfect, filling and energizing breakfast or snack option! Made with no butter, oil, flour or sugar, they are an easy recipe which is completely vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, dairy free and come with a tested paleo/grain free option!
“You can’t eat muffins for breakfast unless they are English.”
“Yes, you can. Besides, these are BREAKFAST muffins.”
“Oh! Okay! That is okay then!”
So apparently eating sweet muffins for breakfast is a big ‘no-no’ but waiting until 10.30am for McDonalds to start serving french fries with sweet and sour sauce is?
Yes, that is how the mind of Niki works.
So that fries story? Yes, it happened last Thursday.
One of the first things Niki told me was that McDonalds were now serving breakfast all day. This was definitely one of her 2015 highlights (I know…), purely because her usual wake-up time is closer to my lunch time- Aka well past the previous 10.30am final call for all things McMuffin, hash brown or hot cakes.
Niki informed me that she’s no longer a late riser on her days off and now considers herself to be an early bird.
Um, sorry, but not sure what bird she’s referring to, as she gets up at 10-10.30.
On Thursday, she came strutting down the stairs into the kitchen proclaiming that it was SO EARLY (It was 9.45am) and that she had a craving for McDonalds. I didn’t mind too much- I was in the mood for a sausage and egg McMuffin with a hashbrown. I told her we should go and she started acting like a princess, telling me that it was NOT 10.30 yet.
“Why does it matter if it’s 10.30? You told me yesterday that breakfast is all day!”
“Do you not have a brain? I want French fries with sweet and sour sauce. They don’t serve that until 10.30am”.
“You told me the other day that muffins were unsuitable for breakfast, yet you want French fries now?”
“No. I want them at 10.30am. That is past breakfast time.”
“Everyone knows that. Breakfast should be eaten between 6am-10.30am”
“That is just the old time McDonalds used to serve breakfast. Do you take their time frame as the holy of holy?”
“Excuse me. Who creates the best sweet and sour sauce on this planet?”
Anyway, before we go into all things muffins, it’s also WHAT I ATE WEDNESDAY, so let’s check out the eats!
Breakfast- This double chocolate muffin with the remnants of this almond butter mixed in and on top. Lunch- Thai feast with a friend, as mentioned here! Snack- Two of these no bake white chocolate raspberry protein bars, swap out the raspberries for strawberries. Dinner- Breakfast for dinner- Kitchen sink omelette eaten out of the pan because I’m a class act.
Let’s talk why I believe these fit my ‘breakfast’ muffin category. I’ve mentioned on here several times that to be satisfied AND energized after a meal, I need a solid balance of protein, fats and carbohydrates. These muffins cover ALL those bases. Not only that, they taste amazing on their own but can easily be pimped up for even more staying power (like adding this almond butter or peanut butter straight on top).
These healthy flourless blueberry breakfast muffins are fluffy and slightly dense on the insides, yet tender on the outsides, creating the perfect satisfying texture. They are an easy, one bowl recipe which takes barely any preparation or mess- Something we can all appreciate. Unlike traditional blueberry style muffins, these contain no butter, oil, flour (unless you opt for the paleo option, in which it will be grain free!) or sugar, but you’d easily be fooled! These are suitable for those following a vegan, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free lifestyle, with a tested paleo option for those who choose that too!
HACK! While I used thawed, frozen blueberries in my recipe, if you have access to fresh ones (at a reasonable cost!) please do use those- They really do allow for a much better texture!
Make these healthy flourless blueberry breakfast muffins and let’s not discriminate on our favorite first meal of the day- Whether it’s muffins, leftover cold curry (AMAZING), leftover cold pizza (the BEST way to enjoy pizza), embrace it.
…but seriously, make these muffins.
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats, ground into a flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener of choice (I used a monk fruit sweetener)
- 1 T baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 flax egg (can sub for 1 large egg if not vegan)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 T smooth cashew butter (can sub for any nut butter of choice)
- 1/4-1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (can sub for honey or agave)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (Can sub for any nut butter of choice)
- vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, whisked lightly
- 1/4-1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 10-12 count muffin tin generously with cooking spray/oil and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, vanilla extract and egg/flax egg. Pour into the dry mixture. Add the melted nut butter (and maple syrup and applesauce for paleo option) and mix very well until a batter is formed.
- Using a heaping 1/4 cup, pour the muffin batter into the greased muffin tin. Bake for around 30-35 minutes (For paleo option, it can be up to 55 minutes, depending on the coconut flour) or until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes on clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tin, before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Muffins are freezer friendly and for optimum freshness, keep refrigerated.
Are you a fan of McDonalds breakfast?
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - email@example.com
Snapchat - thebigmansworld