These healthy zucchini muffins taste like a delicious zucchini chocolate chip bread but in muffin form! Moist on the inside, tender on the outside, they use simple and easy ingredients to make- No one will know they are egg-free, vegan, and gluten-free!
When I made these moist zucchini muffins for my friends, not one single one of them knew I had hidden zucchini in them! They also had no idea that they were secretly healthy, too!
Often when people hear the word healthy, they expect something to be dry and bland.
These are anything but!
Are zucchini muffins healthy?
These muffins are made with easy, wholesome ingredients, with some chocolate chips added for fun. Two of my friends have a two-year-old toddler, and she even polished them all off within days! They told me they cannot get her to eat anything green, so hiding them in sweet muffins was a game-changer!
Texture-wise, they have a tender exterior, but ridiculously moist and fluffy interior. Taste-wise, they are sweet with mouthfuls of chocolate chips with every bite!
Also, many zucchini bread or zucchini muffins use bananas to sweeten it and add to moisture. This recipe has no banana needed but is still perfectly moist.
No one will know these are completely vegan, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and gluten-free!
How to make healthy zucchini muffins
- White Whole Wheat Flour– A healthier alternative to all-purpose flour, white whole wheat flour has added fiber and more whole grains. I’ve also tried this with gluten-free flour, to keep it gluten-free.
- Coconut sugar– A refined sugar free sweetener, coconut palm sugar has no coconut taste, but a gorgeous dark color, similar to brown sugar. You can use any granulated sweetener of choice. v
- Baking powder– Leavens out the muffins, and helps them rise.
- Baking soda– works with the baking soda to give them a fluffier texture.
- Cinnamon– Adds some delicious cinnamon flavor. I love using Saigon cinnamon, as it has a more pronounced cinnamon taste.
- Coconut oil OR olive oil– Both these oils are heart-healthy, and healthier oil alternatives to more traditional oils. If you don’t have either of them on hand, use any neutral-tasting oil.
- Yogurt of choice– Yogurt adds moisture to the muffins, keeping them moist inside, without the need for any butter. Any plant-based yogurt works. I’ve tried both coconut yogurt and non-dairy vanilla yogurt and couldn’t taste the difference.
- Zucchini– A must for a zucchini recipe! Be sure to shred your zucchini finely, and remove excess moisture ONLY if it is super wet.
- Vanilla extract– I always add vanilla extract to my baked goods- it’s a non-negotiable.
- Chocolate Chips– Optional, but highly recommended. I mean, I really should have just called this recipe vegan gluten-free chocolate chip zucchini muffins, but that’s a mouthful. And chocolate chips should be non-negotiable.
- Mix your dry and wet ingredients separately– To start, in one mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and in a separate bowl, add your wet ingredients. Mix them both separately, until combined.
- Combine your ingredients together– Then, add your wet mixture into your dry mixture and mix until just combined. Fold through your chocolate chips using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer to muffin tin and bake– Distribute your muffins evenly amongst a 12-count muffin tin. Bake at 180C/350F for 17-20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out just clean.
- Remove and cool– Finally, Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Can I make these muffins as a zucchini bread instead?
I haven’t tried making these muffins as a loaf, but you may enjoy this vegan and gluten-free zucchini bread.
It uses similar ingredients, and ticks all the boxes of any sweet bread- Tender crumb, moist and fluffy inside, and tastes amazing!
There is also a keto and grain-free version, too.
Storing and Freezing Muffins
How long do zucchini muffins last?
If you are anything like me, or my friends with an energetic toddler, these muffins won’t last more than 3 days!
However, they do keep fresh longer than that. Place leftover muffins in a sealable container and keep them in the refrigerator. They will be fine to eat within 7 days. I recommend zapping one in the microwave for 20 seconds prior. This lets the chocolate chips melt and for the muffins to be warm when you eat them!
Can you freeze zucchini muffins?
These healthy muffins are freezer-friendly, so make a double batch and freeze one set for lunch boxes or after school snacks!
I prefer placing them all in a ziplock bag and freezing them all together. You can, if you choose to, freeze them individually, in single-serving ziplock bags. They can be frozen for up to 6 months.
To thaw, let sit overnight in the fridge!
More healthy muffins you’ll enjoy
- Healthy Chocolate Muffins
- Vegan Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Lemon Loaf Cake
Healthy Zucchini Muffins (award winning recipe!)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour use gluten-free, if needed
- 1 cup coconut sugar or granulated sweetener of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoon non-dairy yogurt
- 6 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips of choice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a 12-count muffin tin with muffin liners and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add your flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon, and mix well. In a seperate bowl, add your yogurt, oil, vanilla extract and zucchini and mix well.
- Combine your dry and wet mixture together. Using a rubber spatula, fold through your chocolate chips. Evenly distribute your muffin mixture evenyl amongst the muffin tin, about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake the muffins for 15-17 minutes, or until a skewer comes out 'just' clean from the center. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.