Chocolate zucchini cake is a moist and fluffy keto chocolate cake with zucchini. Made with coconut flour and almond flour, this keto zucchini cake is low carb and healthy, with a vegan option!
If you’ve never had a chocolate cake made with vegetables before, now is the time to do so. Adding zucchini to a chocolate cake is a sneaky way to hide some greens. You won’t be able to taste it, and it adds extra moisture to the cake.
For a healthy chocolate zucchini cake, you’ll be surprised at how good it is. The texture is super moist, with a tender crumb. You won’t taste an ounce of zucchini at all, just a rich, chocolate flavor. Seriously, it is the best keto chocolate zucchini cake.
Not only is this keto chocolate zucchini cake low carb and gluten free, but there’s also an option to make it vegan too!
How to make a chocolate zucchini cake
- Coconut flour– High in fiber and low in carbs, coconut flour is a fantastic keto baking flour to use. As it absorbs liquids like no other, this cannot be substituted with something else.
- Cocoa powder– The better quality the cocoa powder, the better the chocolate flavor you will have in the zucchini cake. Be sure to sift the cocoa powder if there are clumps.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Either erythritol or monk fruit sweetener can be used.
- Baking soda– Gives the chocolate zucchini cake some rise and leavening.
- Baking powder– works with the baking soda to help the texture.
- Shredded zucchini– You don’t need to squeeze all the liquid out of the zucchini.
- Eggs– Use room temperature eggs, not refrigerated ones. See below for the vegan and eggless option.
- Coconut oil– You want to measure the coconut oil once it has been melted.
- Warm liquid of choice– Water or any milk will work- I used coconut milk. Heat it up until warm, not boiling.
Making this healthy chocolate zucchini cake is so simple and requires just one bowl. Start by sifting through your coconut flour and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl. Add the sweetener, baking soda, and baking powder and mix well. Next, add the shredded zucchini, eggs, coconut oil, and milk and mix until just combined. Transfer the batter into an 6-inch cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes at 180C/350F. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the cake pan for 10 minutes, before carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, frost the zucchini chocolate cake.
Frosting the healthy chocolate zucchini cake
Make a simple and healthy 2 ingredient chocolate frosting for this zucchini chocolate cake.
Combine 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips with 3/4 cup chilled coconut cream. Either in the microwave or stovetop, heat together until warm. Whisk until smooth and glossy. Let cool until spreadable, and frost the cake.
Baking Tips and tricks
- Do not overbake the zucchini chocolate cake, as it continues to cook as it is cooling in the pan.
- To make a layer cake, simply double the ingredients and bake in 2 8-inch pans. Once the cakes have cooled, generously frost in between the cakes and around it.
- Avoid removing all the moisture from the zucchini, as a little extra will keep the cake extra moist.
- Do not frost the cake until it has cooled completely, otherwise, the frosting will melt over the cake.
- You can make a keto sheet cake by using a square pan instead of a circular cake pan. An 8 x 8-inch square pan will work well.
Vegan Zucchini Cake option
Easily make a vegan chocolate zucchini cake by using these ingredients and following the recipe below
The Ingredients– 2 1/2 cups rolled oats, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 3/4 cup sugar of choice, 1 tbsp baking powder, shredded zucchini, 1 cup mashed banana OR sweet potato, 1 flax egg, 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup coconut oil.
In a blender or food processor, add all your ingredients and blend until smooth. Transfer to an 8-inch cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Allow cooling in the cake pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely, before frosting.
Storing and Freezing Tips
- To store: Leftover chocolate zucchini keto cake should be kept in a sealable container or covered in plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Chocolate zucchini cake is freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Tools and ingredients used to make this healthy chocolate zucchini cake-
- High-speed blender– This is my favorite blender, as it can pulse anything and everything and is an easy cleanup.
- Silicone spatulas– Use this spatula to regularly scrape down the sides of the blender, to ensure all the ingredients are incorporated
- Vegan Chocolate Chips– These paleo and dairy free chocolate chips are my go-to. Easy to melt and taste amazing.
- Sugar Free Chocolate Chips– Stevia sweetened chocolate chips which are keto friendly and low carb.
- Canned Coconut Milk– The best brand of coconut milk which works best in my recipes calling for it.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Cake (Keto AND vegan!)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350. Grease an 6-inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift your coconut flour and cocoa powder. Add your granulated sweetener, baking powder and baking soda, and mix well. Then, add your shredded zucchini, eggs, coconut oil, warm water and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter in the greased pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the center. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the chocolate zucchini cake has cooled, add the optional frosting and slice into pieces.