An easy recipe for a healthy flourless paleo vegan chocolate zucchini cake! Made with either coconut flour or rolled oats, this chocolate cake is moist and delicious. Topped with a coconut cream ganache, it’s a healthy cake recipe. Keto, Gluten Free.
It’s officially zucchini season, so get ready to have zucchini hidden in every possible recipe out there!
A classic flourless chocolate zucchini recipe HAS to be my first of this season!
When it comes to hiding veggies in recipes, I feel like zucchini is the easiest to get away with. When finely shredded, I dare you to even be able to see it in a chocolate recipe. I mean, take a look- I DARE you to find some shred of green in there.
Granted, I only used a tiny amount in the cake, but that is beside the point.
Healthy Flourless Chocolate Cake
This healthy flourless chocolate zucchini cake comes with two TESTED options because I’m an equal opportunist.
The flourless vegan and gluten-free chocolate zucchini cake, which is made up of rolled oats and contains no eggs.
The paleo and keto chocolate zucchini cake, which uses coconut flour, coconut oil and which is completely sugar free.
Regardless of which option you choose, they both have the same qualities. They only require one bowl (or a high-speed blender), less than 45 minutes and needing just a handful of ingredients.
If you choose to make the flourless option, you’ll need to prepare a flax egg, but that is super easy to do. I’ll include the method below!
Can we take a minute to discuss the healthy chocolate frosting?
Although the zucchini chocolate cake tastes amazing on its own, you really can’t bypass the opportunity to spread a thick layer of ganache or frosting over the top. I usually opt for my protein frosting or applesauce chocolate frosting but on this occasion, I took it up a notch and made a simple 2-ingredient chocolate frosting.
2 Ingredient Healthy Chocolate Frosting Recipe
I seriously kick myself that it took me so long to make my own basic chocolate frosting. This coconut cream based chocolate frosting needs just two ingredients- Chilled coconut cream and chocolate chips of choice. (See below for my recommendations!)
Combine 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips with your chilled coconut cream (3/4 cup of the cream!). Either stovetop or in the microwave, heat until just melted and whisk very well. Pour the thick frosting/ganache over your chocolate zucchini cake and allow to cool.
NOTE- The healthy paleo chocolate frosting can be prepared in advance and chilled- It will just be quite thick to allow to sit at room temperature before spreading on the cake.
How to make a flax egg
For ONE flax egg (to replace a single egg in a recipe) combine 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds (flax meal) with 3 tablespoons of water. For the best texture, refrigerate it for at least 20 minutes, or until a gel-like substance has formed.
Note- If you want to make the flourless option but don’t follow a vegan or egg-free diet, you can use 1 large egg.
Looking for more recipes with zucchini hidden in them? I gotcha covered!
- Chocolate Zucchini Breakfast Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Zucchini Fudge Brownies
- Healthy Zucchini Breakfast Brownies
Tools and ingredients used to make this healthy flourless chocolate zucchini cake-
- High-speed blender– This is my favorite blender, as it can pulse anything and everything and is an easy cleanup.
- Silicone spatulas– Use this spatula to regularly scrape down the sides of the blender, to ensure all the ingredients are incorporated
- Vegan Chocolate Chips– These paleo and dairy free chocolate chips are my go-to. Easy to melt and taste amazing.
- Sugar Free Chocolate Chips– Stevia sweetened chocolate chips which are ketogenic friendly and low carb.
- Canned Coconut Milk– The best brand of coconut milk which works best in my recipes calling for it.
Flourless Paleo Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Cake (Keto, Gluten Free)
For the Flourless Version (Vegan, Gluten Free, Sugar Free)
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free rolled oats Can sub for quinoa flakes
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sweetener of choice I used a stevia blend
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 flax egg
- 1 cup liquid of choice almond milk, coconut milk etc * See notes
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a high-speed blender, combine all your ingredients and blend until a thick batter remains. Regularly scrape down the sides to ensure all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter in the greased pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the center. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the chocolate zucchini cake has cooled, add the optional frosting and slice into pieces.