A healthy, light and fluffy muffin recipe with a hidden vegetable inside- A sweet potato! These flourless sweet potato muffins need only one bowl and are packed full of protein, fiber and take less than 25 minutes to whip up- Naturally gluten-free, vegan and sugar-free, it’s the perfect healthy snack to enjoy, especially this festive season!
Ha, I’m in an odd mood today. Must be the oven fumes.
It’s that time for our monthly roundups (I had to word that in a very intricate way).
I’m not going to be that cliche blogger who says “OMG you guys. It’s already November! Let’s start throwing Candy Canes at people and getting ready to plan New Years Eve.”
Yes, it’s November.
Yes, months go by fast.
C’EST LA BLOODY VIE.
Hi guys, I’ve just had breakfast and coffee and I’m in a better frame of mind.
This month we went the sweet potato route and I must admit- It’s growing on me in recipes. I’ve really enjoyed the extra sweetness it provides, whilst having a similar texture of pumpkin. This is a ‘win-win’ in my book- It means I can cut back on some of the added natural sweeteners I’d have planned to incorporate (honey, agave, maple syrup, Alexis’s Splenda). It also provides a much more visually appealing color over pumpkin.
Lindsay shares these sweet potato protein brownies and I feel like doing a Crossfit class for them….tomorrow.
Alexis shares these sweet potato enchiladas and I kind of want to hi 5 her with a slab of bacon…tomorrow.
Sarah shares these black bean chipotle stuffed sweet potatoes and I pretty much want to become vegetarian now…until tomorrow.
Kylie shares these sweet potato stacks with maple vanilla bean bacon and I just can’t….Until tomorrow.
Julia shares these sweet potato homefries which makes me want to never eat a sweet breakfast again…until tomorrow.
And here is my offering- The healthy flourless sweet potato muffins!
These healthy flourless sweet potato muffins need only one bowl and just 25 minutes to whip up- You actually have no excuses not to make this. They are the perfect snack or healthy treat to have on hand and even the perfect festive treat this holiday season! These moist, fluffy and delicious muffins are packed full of fiber (thank you, sweet potato), are flourless (I heart you, oats) and have some healthy fats thrown in for good measure (nut butter/coconut oil- You pick!).
HACK! I know some of you guys are looking to reduce your sugar intake or follow a sugar free diet- This CAN be made completely sugar free- Simply swap out the coconut palm sugar with a granulated sub sweetener of choice!
Make these healthy flourless sweet potato muffins and save me a seat at your Thanksgiving table.
I’ll bring these muffins, minus the hungry and coffee-less persona.
- 2 cups gluten free oat flour (gluten free oats ground into a flour)
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (use stevia or a sugar free baking blend to keep sugar free)
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1 flax egg (can sub for 1 large egg if not vegan)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 T nut butter of choice, melted (I used smooth cashew butter)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 10-12 muffin tins with patty pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, vanilla extract and egg/flax egg. Pour into the dry mixture, along with the mashed sweet potato. Add the melted nut butter and mix very well until a batter is formed.
- Using a 1/4 cup, pour batter into the patty pans/muffin liners/muffin tin until almost full. Top with extra cinnamon and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick or skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes, before removing and allowing to cool on a dry surface.
- Muffins are freezer friendly and can be kept at room temperature- Ensure they are covered in a container if so.
Are you human before caffeine?
What is your favorite way to eat a sweet potato?