This Funfetti Cake is an easy yet impressive dessert that is made in just one bowl! No eggs, no milk, and no butter needed, it’s moist, fluffy, and loaded with plenty of sprinkles!
Funfetti Birthday Cake
When it comes to easy and delicious cakes, my favorite recipes to make are a vanilla cake, death by chocolate cake, and this Funfetti cake.
Whenever my friends have a celebration coming up, I use it as an excuse to whip them up a cake of some sort. I think I’ve developed quite the reputation for it, as most weeks, I’ll be whipping up a cake for some occasion or another.
The other week, one of my friends had an engagement and wanted a special cake for the occasion. As it wasn’t her birthday, I didn’t want to make a birthday cake but instead, something a little more fun. As she adores all things sprinkles and glitter, I thought I’d adapt it and make her a delicious Funfetti cake!
I’ve been meaning to share a Funfetti cake recipe for quite some time. It’s inspired by the Crazy Cake phenomenon (Depression cake) in which there is no need for any eggs, milk, or butter. The texture is light and fluffy on the inside, yet with a tender crumb. It’s sweet and full of vanilla flavor, with plenty of sprinkles throughout!
It was my friend’s event the other day and I served them this cake and NO ONE believed me when I told them it was vegan- They thought it had to be bought from a bakery!
How do you make a Funfetti cake?
- Flour– All purpose plain flour is preferred, to give the cake a light and fluffy texture. For a super light colored cake, use bleached white flour.
- Sugar– White sugar or organic white sugar. You can use brown or coconut sugar, but your cake will be darker in color.
- Baking soda– Works with vinegar to replace any need for eggs.
- Salt– Brings out the natural sweetness of all the other ingredients.
- Sprinkles– Use rainbow jimmies, not generic sprinkles. Rainbow jimmies don’t bleed into the cake batter and generally hold their shape.
- Vinegar– White or apple cider vinegar.
- Vanilla extract– A must for any good cake recipe.
- Cake extract- Optional, but gives the cake a fabulous Funfetti flavor.
- Oil– Any neutral flavored oil. I used vegetable oil, but safflower and avocado oil can also be used.
- Water– To mix everything together.
- Vanilla frosting– Use your favorite white or vanilla frosting of choice.
Start by adding your dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until combined. Add the vinegar, vanilla extract, and oil, followed by the water, and mix until a thick batter remains. Next, transfer the cake batter into two greased 8-inch cake pans and bake at 180C/350F for 27-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Now, remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool completely. Once cool, remove the cakes from the pan and carefully cut each cake through the center. Finally, layer the cake with frosting. Place one layer onto a flat surface and spread with frosting. Repeat the process until you have a four layer cake. Cover the exterior of the cake with frosting and let it stand for 30 minutes, to firm up.
Tips to make the best vegan Funfetti cake
- Do not overbake the cakes, as they continue to cook in their cake pans.
- If possible, use springform cake pans to ensure easy removal.
- You must use jimmies and not traditional sprinkles. If you use the latter, you risk the sprinkles bleeding into the cake or in some cases, completely disappearing from the cake.
Storing and freezing confetti cake
- To store: Funfetti cake can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. The cake will keep well for up to 1 week. Be sure to let the cake sit at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
- To freeze: Place leftover cake in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More vegan cake recipes to try
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Funfetti Cake recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Funfetti Cake (No eggs or butter!)
- 3 cups all purpose flour * See notes
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons oil I used vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sprinkles use rainbow jimmies
- 2 cups vanilla frosting any frosting of choice
- Preheart the oven to 180C/350F. Grease two 8-inch springform cake pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. Add the wet ingredients and mix until a thick batter remains. Fold through the sprinkles.
- Distribute the batter evenly amongst the two cake pans. Bake for 27-30 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool completely. Once cool, remove them from the springform pans. Using a wet knife, carefully slice through the center of the cakes, leaving 4 thin layers of cakes.
- Place one layer of cake onto a flat surface and spread with frosting. Repeat the process until you have a four layer cake. Cover the exterior of the cake with extra frosting and let the cake sit for 30 minutes, before serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.