This keto zucchini bread is a moist and tender loaf that makes a fabulous low carb dessert! Made using simple ingredients, it can be made sweet or savory.
I love to secretly add zucchini to my desserts.
Can you eat zucchini on keto?
Zucchini is a fantastic vegetable to include on a keto diet. It’s low in carbs, with just 4 grams of net carbs in a cup. It’s perfect in both sweet and savory recipes, and I love shredding it and adding it to my sweet breads.
Why this keto zucchini bread recipe will be a baking staple-
- One bowl. One for the dry ingredients and one for the wet ingredients. No clean up required!
- No sugar needed. It’s the perfect quick bread that works well
- Works as muffins too. Easily use the batter in muffin tins to make zucchini muffins instead!
- Moist, tender, and no zucchini flavor. It hits all the texture and flavor boxes.
Like my chocolate zucchini bread, this version is a sneaky way to add veggies into your diet while satisfying the sweet tooth! Pair it with a keto hot chocolate or a cup of coffee for the ultimate dessert.
How to make keto zucchini bread
- Almond flour- blanched almond flour must be used, not almond meal. The blanched variety yields a lighter and fluffier bread.
- Coconut flour- Gives the bread a slightly cakey texture, perfect to balance the moistness of the loaf.
- Granulated sweetener of choice- I used allulose, but a brown sugar substitute also works.
- Baking powder- Leavening agent to give some rise and depth.
- Eggs- room temperature eggs.
- Greek yogurt- Adds extra moisture to the bread. You can also use sour cream.
- Butter- Softened and salted butter.
- Milk of choice- I used unsweetened coconut milk, but use your favorite keto milk.
- Vanilla extract- A must for any good quick bread.
- Zucchini- Finely shredded zucchini. Be sure to squeeze out any excess moisture, to ensure the bread doesn’t sink in the middle.
Make the batter: Mix your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients until smooth. Combine the wet and dry ingredients then fold through the zucchini.
Transfer to the pan: Grease a 9 x 4-inch loaf pan, then transfer the batter into it.
Bake the bread: Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean. Remove it from the pan and let it cool completely, before slicing and serving.
Can I make this savory?
For a savory zucchini bread, you can omit the sweetener and replace it with equal amounts of parmesan cheese or keto bread crumbs. The cooking time remains the same.
Tips for success
- Ensure all the moisture is squeezed out of the zucchini to prevent the bread sinking or becoming super moist.
- Oven makes and models differ, so you may find your bread taking slightly longer to cook. If you are worried about the tops over-browning, cover it with tin foil until it is cooked.
- Avoid over-baking, as the bread continues to cook in the pan as it is cooling down.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep well for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place slices of zucchini bread in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More keto quick breads to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditional zucchini bread is made with white/wheat flour and added sugar. If you make this keto version, the carbs are just 2 grams per slice.
There is no need to peel the zucchini before grating or shredded it.
You should always squeeze any excess moisture out of the shredded zucchini before adding it to the batter. This ensures the bread cooks evenly and remains fluffy in the middle.
Keto Zucchini Bread (Moist and fluffy!)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup allulose or a brown sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt can use sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk of choice I used unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup zucchini shredded and excess moisture removed
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients until combined. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, softened butter, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well. Fold through the shredded zucchini.
- Transfer the batter into the lined loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the zucchini bread cool in the pan completely, before slicing.