This mozzarella stuffed meatloaf recipe will quickly become your new favorite dinner. Every bite of juicy ground beef and gooey, melted cheese is completely addictive!
When you take a classic meatloaf and stuff it with cheese, you get this crave-worthy stuffed meatloaf recipe! Every bite features juicy, well-seasoned ground beef with slices of gooey melted mozzarella cheese in the middle. It’s the ultimate comfort food that the entire family will love!
Why this recipe works
I can thank my mom for my complete obsession with comfort food, especially meatloaf. Her classic meatloaf was a dinner I always looked forward to. My keto meatloaf was inspired by her version, while this meatloaf with cheese is similar but given an upgrade with melted mozzarella in the middle.
- Cheesy, beefy, and delicious. What could be better than meat stuffed with cheese for dinner? The ground beef mixture is well seasoned and deliciously juicy, while the melted cheese in the middle makes every bite almost too good to be true.
- An easy weeknight dinner. This is a foolproof meatloaf recipe that’s easy to put together in one bowl and ready to eat in less than 1 hour.
- Simple ingredients. Like wagyu burgers, you only need a short list of easy-to-find and budget-friendly ingredients to make this comforting dinner.
No one will turn their nose up at this stuffed meatloaf recipe, especially when they see the gooey cheese in the middle and the simple, budget-friendly ingredients. These are the only ingredients you need to make this comforting dinner:
- Ground beef. Use regular ground beef so the meatloaf stays nice and juicy.
- Panko breadcrumbs. To help soak up the excess moisture and help bind the meat mixture together.
- Heavy cream. For moisture.
- Egg. To help bind the meat mixture together.
- Soy sauce. Or use tamari if you’re gluten free.
- Italian seasoning mix. For flavor.
- Paprika. This gives the meat a subtle smoky flavor.
- Garlic powder and onion powder. For an irresistibly savory flavor.
- Salt and black pepper. To taste.
- Mozzarella cheese. Use sliced mozzarella cheese, not shredded cheese.
- Fresh parsley. For garnish.
How to make stuffed meatloaf
The meatloaf mixture is easy to put together in one bowl before it’s stuffed with cheese and baked in a loaf pan. Here’s how it’s done:
Step 1 – Make the meat mixture
Mix the ground beef, breadcrumbs, heavy cream, egg, soy sauce, and spices together in a large bowl. Knead it with your hands until everything just comes together.
Step 2 – Stuff the meatloaf
Press half of the meat mixture into a prepared loaf pan. Lay the mozzarella slices on top, then cover with the rest of the meat mixture.
Step 3 – Bake
Bake the meatloaf until it’s cooked through. Let it rest while you make the meatloaf glaze.
Step 4 – Make the glaze
Air fryer instructions
Instead of forming the meatloaf in a loaf pan, shape it into a log in a parchment-lined air fryer basket instead. Assemble with the cheese, then the rest of the meat mixture. Air fry for 18 to 22 minutes at 200ºC/400ºF, or until the internal temperature reaches 160ºF.
For more helpful tips and instructions, check out my air fryer meatloaf recipe.
What to serve with stuffed meatloaf
Stuffed meatloaf will quickly become a new favorite for family dinners and weeknight meals, especially when you serve it with broccoli salad, mashed potatoes, sauteed asparagus, and air fryer carrots. If you’re craving an extra-comforting dinner, swap the healthy side dishes for mac and cheese or scalloped potatoes instead.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Don’t overwork the meat mixture! Knead the ingredients until they just come together. Overmixing can leave you with dense and dry meatloaf.
- Instead of mozzarella, stuff the meatloaf with another great melting cheese, like sliced cheddar, provolone, or gouda.
- You’ll know the meatloaf is done baking when the internal temperature is 70ºC/160ºF.
- Let the meatloaf cool for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. This way, the juices will soak back into the meat and the loaf will hold together.
To store: Cover the cooked and cooled meatloaf with a layer of plastic or foil, then store it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
To reheat: The meatloaf or slices can be reheated quickly in the microwave or in a 350ºF oven for a few minutes. Brush the outside with some water to keep it from drying out.
To freeze: Keep the leftover meatloaf or slices in an airtight container, then freeze for up to 6 months.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Loaf pan. To assemble and bake the meatloaf.
- Large bowl. To mix the meat and seasonings together.
- Parchment paper. Line the loaf pan with parchment paper to make the meatloaf easier to remove.
- Meat thermometer. To measure the internal temperature of the meatloaf. You’ll know it’s done when it reaches 70ºC/160ºF.
Frequently asked questions
The best way to make a moist and juicy meatloaf is to avoid overworking the meat mixture. Also, use regular ground beef rather than lean ground beef. The natural juices in the meat will prevent the meatloaf from drying out.
You can bake the meatloaf uncovered. However, if the outside is cooking too quickly or becoming crispy, you can cover it with a layer of aluminum foil.
More comfort food dinner ideas
- Lasagna with Cottage Cheese
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Chicken Crust Pizza
- Beef Short Ribs
- Ribeye roast
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Line the 9 x 5-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together meat, breadcrumbs, heavy cream, beaten egg, soy sauce, and spices. Knead the meat with your hands until everything comes together. Take half of the mixture and tuck it into the loaf pan, pressing evenly.
- Arrange cheese slices in the middle and cover them with the rest of the meat mixture, making sure to seal the edges and cover the cheese from all sides.
- Bake meatloaf for 45 minutes. Let it sit for five minutes, before brushing with ketchup and barbecue sauce before serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.