Tender on the outside, moist and fluffy on the inside, these healthy flourless carrot cake muffins will be your new favorite snack! These quick and easy muffins have no butter, oil or flour in them but you would never be able to tell- Naturally gluten free and vegan, there’s a sugar-free option AND a protein packed frosting option too!
These muffins were trialled using THREE different kinds of frostings.
Last year, I shared this healthy carrot cake recipe on here. To this day, it’s one of the most made and popular recipes, so big props to you guys out there who’ve enjoyed it and rudely not saved me a slice.
The other day, I wanted to make a muffin version of this cake. I didn’t have any gluten free flour on hand so I switched that out which made these muffins flourless. I also didn’t have the Greek yogurt on hand so omitted that and changed some of the bases around to keep the moist centre we all love.
What came out?
The most epic carrot cake muffins with the best texture.
Let’s go back to the carrot cake now.
One of the most consistent bits of feedback I receive on it is how unlike most traditional carrot cakes, this one doesn’t need any frosting. It’s light, tender and moist- So good, that if anything, a simple spread of butter is all that’s needed.
So why the frosting three times and for this muffin? Because these muffins without frosting actually looked like….. I can’t really write it on here. I’ll leave it at that.
ALL three frostings trialled are gluten free, vegan and dairy free- You just pick your preference!
Frosting 1- Traditional- Dairy free cream cheese + granulated sweetener of choice + a dash of dairy free milk to thin up slightly.
Frosting 2- Protein lovers rejoice! This protein frosting is the one pictured and is legit edible from the bowl!
Frosting 3- Coconut butter style frosting which is my go-to for a non-protein packed glaze on relevant recipes!
If you’re enjoying these yourselves and aren’t bothered by the frosting, then these are perfectly fine without it- The frosting is simply there to beautify them AND give them a dash of visual appeal.
Now how about these muffins, huh?
These healthy flourless carrot cake muffins need just one bowl and an easy ingredient list to whip up. They are tender and firm on the outside, yet incredibly moist and fluffy on the inside (check out the pictures!)- Yet there isn’t any oil, butter, flour or white sugar in the entire recipe! These muffins are the perfect snack or healthy treat to enjoy anytime. They are freezer friendly too- Perfect to just thaw or microwave before enjoying! These muffins are also suitable for those following a vegan, gluten free and dairy free lifestyle!
HACK! To keep this recipe completely sugar free, I opted to use granulated monk fruit sweetener. It’s nutritional profile is similar to stevia, however, it does not leave you with that metallic or bitter aftertaste!
Make these healthy flourless carrot cake muffins and if the final visual result doesn’t phase you, skip the frosting.
If it does, whip it up.
Whip it real good.
- 2 cups gluten free oat flour (gluten free oats ground into a flour)
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar or Monk fruit sweetener (or granulated sweetener of choice)
- 1 T baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1 small carrot, grated finely
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1 flax egg (can sub for 1 large egg if not vegan)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 T nut butter of choice, melted (I used smooth cashew butter)
- 1 tub dairy free or standard cream cheese, softened
- Granulated monk fruit sweetener/sweetener of choice (to desired sweetness)
- 3 scoops vanilla protein powder (I recommend a casein or brown rice blend)
- 1-2 T granulated sweetener of choice (optional)
- 1-2 T nut butter of choice (optional)
- Dairy free milk to form batter
- 4-6 T coconut butter, melted
- 2 T granulated sweetener of choice
- Dairy free milk to thin out
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 10-12 muffin tins with patty pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, vanilla extract and egg/flax egg. Pour into the dry mixture. Add the shredded carrots and the melted nut butter and mix very well until a batter is formed.
- Using a 1/4 cup, pour batter into the patty pans/muffin liners/muffin tin until almost full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick or skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes, before removing and allowing to cool on a dry surface.
- Pick one of the above methods, place in a small bowl and add dairy free milk to thin out to a very thick consistency. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before spreading on muffins. Refrigerate to allow to firm up.
- Muffins are freezer friendly. If you do frost them, it is best to keep refrigerated at all times.
Have a great weekend, folks!
Big plans for the weekend?
Are you a fan of cream cheese or cream cheese frosting?
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - email@example.com
Snapchat - thebigmansworld