This healthy flourless Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Cake is the perfect, hearty and delicious breakfast choice, naturally sweetened with applesauce and a dash of cinnamon! Made with no butter, oil, flour or white sugar, It’s naturally gluten free, vegan, dairy free, refined sugar free and comes with a tested grain free/paleo option!
“Arman, you NEED to try this applesauce I just made!”
“Gross. I don’t eat baby food, thanks.”
Alexis comes from behind the counter at Alchemy with a ladle of homemade chunky applesauce.
Up until around September last year, it had been years since I’d eaten applesauce on its own.
My entire time at primary and high school (13 years +), I was one of those kids who’d always bring a packed lunch. Every single morning, my mum would make sure I’d have a brown paper bag brimming with food. She always overpacked, with more than enough snacks to feed all my classmates too. Most of the time, I’d always ‘forget’ the banana in my bag or the boring granola bar in my locker, only consuming the sandwich and random snacks included.
I still remember the time back in fifth grade when she’d packed ‘baby food.’ One of her colleagues had just returned from America and brought all these snacks with them, including applesauce cups. They gifted my mum several packages and mum thought they’d be a delicious addition in my brown bag. That particular day, I discarded my granola bar, took out my sandwich and then was perplexed at the cup of applesauce.
At this time, Niki and I were both at the same school and I remember seeing her at her locker at lunch.
“Did mum give you baby food too?”
“Have you eaten your lunch yet?”
“What snack did mum give you?”
“I don’t know, it was in this container and it reminded me of shampoo. Yummy shampoo.”
I went back home and told my mum off for packing me baby food. She scolded me, telling me that I should be grateful that her friend brought Niki and I delicious things from America. She informed me it was applesauce and a very popular lunch box addition there.
I told her that her friend must have no brain for bringing those back and not Oreos.
….That didn’t go down very well.
Anyway, every since then, I’d never been a fan of applesauce on its own. It just reminded me of baby food. Until I was chased by Alexis to try it again last year, it was never something I’d willingly eat. After trying her chunky version, I must say my taste buds have definitely improved but something STILL doesn’t mesh well with me eating it as is. Luckily, it’s an amazing addition to MANY things and one of my favorite add-ins in baked goods and my own personal recipes.
In fact, this humble ‘baby food’ is the key ingredient for today’s delicious offering- This healthy flourless Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Cake!
This healthy Flourless Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Cake is fluffy and slightly dense on the inside, yet tender on the outside, packed with apple and cinnamon flavor! For such a delicious breakfast offering, you’d be surprised that no butter, oil, sugar or flour was used in the entire recipe! It’s an easy one bowl recipe which takes barely any time to prep and comes with an optional (but highly recommended!) frosting in two versions- A cinnamon cream cheese one and a high protein one! This breakfast cake is suitable for those following a vegan, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free lifestyle and for my paleo/grain free friends, take note of the changes needed (which have of course, been tested!).
HACK! To take the cinnamon/apple flavor up a notch, I highly recommend you use all natural apple AND cinnamon applesauce- It took me a while of hunting around but I was stoked to find this one available. That, paired with my favorite Saigon cinnamon = Cinnamon overload we can approve of.
Make this healthy Flourless Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Cake and let’s raise a slice to yummy shampoo.
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free rolled oats, ground into a flour (2 cups total)
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener of choice (I used a monk fruit sweetener)
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 T saigon cinnamon
- 2-3 T chopped dried apples (optional)
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used a natural apple and cinnamon mix)
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1 flax egg (can sub for 1 large egg if not vegan)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 T nut butter of choice, melted (I used drippy almond butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 T Saigon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (can sub for honey or agave)
- 1/4 cup drippy almond butter (can sub for cashew butter or coconut oil)
- vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, whisked lightly
- 3 scoops vanilla protein powder (see recommendations under 'shop' tab)
- 1-2 T granulated sweetener of choice (optional)
- 1-2 T nut butter of choice (optional)
- Dairy free milk to form batter
- Dairy free cream cheese, softened (can sub for any cream cheese)
- 2 T granulated sweetener of choice
- 1 T cinnamon
- Dairy free milk if needed
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan (or a baking dish) with cooking spray/oil/butter and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, vanilla extract and egg/flax egg. Pour into the dry mixture, along with the unsweetened apple sauce. Add the melted nut butter (and maple syrup for paleo option) and mix very well until a batter is formed.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan or baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes on clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving or frosting, if desired.
- Add all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Using a tablespoon, add dairy free milk until a VERY thick batter is formed.
- Breakfast cake is best kept in the fridge, but is totally freezer friendly! f you decide to use the frosting(s), it's best to make fresh or keep separate until ready for consumption!
Are you a fan of applesauce on its own?
Did you have a packed lunch growing up or did you buy it?
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - email@example.com
Snapchat - thebigmansworld