These Healthy 4 Ingredient Applesauce Cookies are soft, chewy and take less than 15 minutes to whip up! They are an easy snack or breakfast option- Naturally gluten free and vegan, there is an option to keep it completely sugar-free too!
Applesauce Cookies Recipe
These healthy 4 ingredient applesauce cookies are a simple, delicious and easy fix to satisfy your cookie cravings in a ridiculously healthy way. They are soft, chewy and perfect to have as a quick and easy snack or do as I do, and eat 3-4 with a bowl of keto oatmeal.
I tried this recipe out using all applesauce and one version using applesauce and pumpkin and found the latter to be much better- Both in terms of texture and taste. Naturally gluten-free and vegan, you can sub the coconut sugar for a sugar-free granulated sweetener of choice to make them refined sugar-free.
While these cookies taste delicious as they are (and I love them as it is, because I love topping them with peanut butter!), they taste amazing with around 2 tablespoons or so of nut butter in the batter! Simply add a dash more oats if it’s too wet!
Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies Ingredients-
Unsweetened Applesauce: Ensure your applesauce is 100% unsweetened.
Pumpkin Puree: Unsweetened pumpkin puree helps hold the cookies together better than straight-up applesauce.
Granulated Sweetener of choice: I used Swerve, a zero-calorie, sugar-free substitute. Any granulated sweetener of choice works (coconut palm sugar, white sugar, brown sugar etc).
Optional Ingredients: For an even better texture, add 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite nut or seed butter of choice.
How to make healthy oatmeal cookies with applesauce from scratch
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, combine all your ingredients until a thick batter remains.
Step 3: Using your hands, form 12-15 small balls of dough and place on the lined tray. Press each ball into a cookie shape.
Step 4: Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, until slightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan completely.
How to substitute applesauce for butter in cookies
Besides the light apple flavor, using applesauce in cookies helps replace the butter completely. Although they won’t have a super-rich flavor butter will provide, you can combat that- Add 1-2 tablespoons of nut butter (e.g. peanut butter or almond butter).
There will be no butter needed- perfect for a low calorie, low-fat cookie to enjoy anytime!
Using applesauce also works to replace the need for eggs!
Storing Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies
Cookies can keep at room temperature, in a sealed container for up to 3 days. These cookies are best stored in the refrigerator, for optimum freshness. They will keep fresh for up to 1 week.
Applesauce oatmeal cookies are freezer friendly. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More healthy cookie recipes
- Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Brownie Cookies
- Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener of choice I used coconut palm sugar but this can be substituted with a stevia blend if you prefer that taste
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon/apple pie spice optional
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter * Optional- See notes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and lightly grease a baking tray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, pumpkin, applesauce and granulated sweetener of choice and mix well. If desired, add 2 tablespoons or so of your favorite nut butter.
- Using your hands, form12 balls and place on the baking tray and press each ball into a cookie shape. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on desired consistency.
- Remove and allow to cool completely.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.