These healthy apple pie pancakes are an easy family favorite breakfast and a kid-friendly recipe! Thick, fluffy and pillow-like pancakes loaded with apple pie flavor and absolutely satisfying. They are a gluten-free, vegan, sugar free and egg-free recipe which is also freezer friendly too!
When it comes to family favorite breakfasts, nothing comes anywhere near as close as pancakes do. Thick, fluffy and pillow-like, you can stack them up, top with syrup and dig straight in. I seem to have been on a pancake kick lately too- The fluffy pumpkin pancakes (well, it is Fall/Autumn now..), the blueberry smoothie pancakes (in the peak of summer) and let’s not forget the zucchini bread pancakes. I had intentions to wait a while before sharing my most recent stack but when life gives you applesauce…
Make thick, fluffy pancakes which taste like apple pie!
I may have to use the apple ‘get out of jail’ card, as I think all things apple may be giving the pumpkin a much-needed break.
You may as well make a huge batch of applesauce in the meantime!
When it comes to apple-inspired recipes, nothing beats a classic apple pie. While I’m still in the process of devising a way to enjoy the actual pie for breakfast, we’ll settle for apple pie in pancake form.
I know not many people are a fan of unsweetened applesauce (baby food, anyone?) but trust me on this.
Unsweetened applesauce has plenty of uses- They often replace fat and oil in baked goods and can even replace eggs. They have a very mild, neutral flavor, and works well in non-baked goods too. In fact, unsweetened applesauce is a favorite ingredient in brownies– Both baked and un-baked!
You can either make your own or buy store bought. If you do the latter, ensure it only has one ingredient- pureed apples! Many store-bought applesauce brands are a little cheeky and have added sugar hidden in them.
The applesauce in these thick, fluffy and flourless apple pie pancakes take on a two-fold benefit here. The applesauce replaces BOTH the eggs and fat, while also adding a delicious apple accent. They also naturally act as a binder and keep these pancakes moist and cake-like on the inside, while slightly crispy and golden on the outside.
The pancakes itself are quick, easy and fuss-free to whip up- You simply throw all the ingredients into a high-speed blender or a large mixing bowl. You combine until fully blended/mixed and then they are all set to be transformed into pancakes!
These flourless apple pie pancakes are deceptive but in the best possible way. They only need easy six ingredients. They also have no eggs, no flour, and no sugar. This means that if you follow a vegan, gluten free, sugar free, dairy free or low-calorie diet, these fit the bill.
For those who want to enjoy eating pancakes every single day, make a double or triple portion. Simply freeze the leftover pancakes and thaw the night before for a quick grab-and-go breakfast. Heck, you can keep the kids happy by serving a stack of pancakes on a school day, minus the time necessary!
Depending on which country you reside in, apple pie spice may or may not be a thing. I’ve personally seen jars of spices dedicated specially for apple pie spice. However, if this is not available for you, simply make your own!
The key ratio of ingredients to homemade apple pie spice is as follows- 8 parts cinnamon, 4 parts nutmeg and 1 part cardamom. You can go a little fancy and add some ginger or mix spice, but those 3 are the basics. To be honest, as long as you have cinnamon and nutmeg, you’ll be fine.
A basic sounding but important tip for these pancakes is to pre-mix your spices into the applesauce before adding it to the mixing bowl or blender. This ensures that the spices are evenly distributed and every pancake bite is loaded with apple pie spice and flavor.
Did I mention how versatile they are? You can easily enjoy leftover pancakes for snacks between meals or go one step further. Add a scoop of your favorite ice cream and enjoy a short stack for a guilt-free dessert.
Healthy Fluffy Flourless Apple Pie Pancakes (Vegan, Gluten Free) adapted from these banana smoothie pancakes– Check out just how easy they are to make below.
Healthy Flourless Apple Pie Pancakes
Flourless Apple Pie Pancakes
- 1 cup rolled oats can sub for quinoa or buckwheat flakes
- 1/4 cup milk of choice I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce 112 grams
- 1 tsp apple pie spice see notes above to make your own
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sticky sweetener of choice I used monk fruit maple syrup
Apple Pie Compete (Topping)
- 1 small apple, chopped finely
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
For the apple pie pancakes
- Premix your spices into your applesauce. Combine all the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Alternatively, use a large mixing bowl. Start with the dry ingredients, before adding in the wet ones. Mix until fully combined.
- Let the batter sit for at least 5 minutes, for the mixture to thicken.
- Preheat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, pour the batter in the pan, using a 1/4 measuring cup as a scoop. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden on the edges and a spatula can easily flip it. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until thick, fluffy and crispy.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up. If possible, cover the pan when cooking. Serve up or allow to cool and freeze individual portions.
Apple Pie compete (optional)
- Stovetop or microwave, heat up 1 chopped apple in a layer of water and apple pie spice until soft and tender. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon and top your pancakes with them.
More delicious apple pie inspired recipes? Gotcha covered!
The Big Man’s World is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. This means that if you click and make a purchase, TBMW receives a small commission, at no cost to you. Cheers, hugs, and handshakes for supporting TBMW!