This air fryer grilled cheese comes together in less than 10 minutes and turns out super crispy and gooey! Made with just 5 ingredients, it’s the perfect comfort food.
What can you cook in an air fryer? Literally, ANYTHING!
Now, you can make the ultimate air fryer grilled cheese sandwich without all the mess, but just as crispy and gooey as you’d expect.
Why this recipe works
- Quick and easy. With simple ingredients and instructions, this recipe comes together in just 5 minutes.
- Mess-free. This air fryer grilled cheese can be prepared without the fuss of heating a pan and frying with oil.
- Everyone loves it. Who doesn’t love a good grilled cheese?
What I love about this recipe is you can customize it any way you like! Like any good toasted sandwich, you can load it up with almost anything!
This recipe is very simple and calls for just 5 basic ingredients which you’ll likely already have on hand. Here is what you’ll need:
- White bread. You can also use sourdough, whole wheat, or any other type of bread.
- Mayonnaise. The secret ingredient that guarantees the exterior to be extra crispy and delicious.
- Butter. Unsalted and softened to room temperature.
- Mozzarella and tasty cheese. Shred before using.
How to make grilled cheese in the air fryer?
Making this recipe follows a simple 2-step process and honestly, the air fryer takes care of all the hard work. Ready to make a sandwich?
Step 1: Prepare the bread
On one side of the bread slices, spread some mayonnaise and half a tablespoon of butter on top of the mayonnaise. It will be the outside of the grilled cheese.
On the other side of each slice of bread, add half a cup of tasty cheese and half a cup of mozzarella cheese. Cover the cheese-coated sides with bread slices while keeping the butter/mayonnaise side on the outside.
Step 2: Air fry the grilled cheese sandwich
Preheat the air fryer to 200C/400F. Generously spray the air fryer basket and place one sandwich in it. Add two toothpicks to prevent the bread from sticking.
Let it cook in hot air for 8-9 minutes, flipping halfway through. Once the outside is golden brown, remove it from the air fryer.
Slice the sandwich in half and enjoy.
What cheese is best?
The best cheese options for grilled cheese are swiss, mozzarella, provolone, and American. You can also choose other types of cheese, but make sure to look for one that is strongly flavored (sharp) and melts well.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Avoid pressing the bread while flipping, as you will risk the cheese oozing out.
- Unless you have an extra large air fryer, cook each sandwich one at a time.
- Use a toothpick to prevent the bread from falling apart while cooking in the air fryer.
Dietary swaps and variations
Like any good sandwich, this one is easy to customize to suit your taste buds or diet preferences. Here is what we’ve tried:
- Make it healthier. Use a fat-free mayonnaise and light butter, and/or reduce the amounts by half.
- Add different fillings. Add some deli meat, tomatoes, or even some crispy bacon for the ultimate comforting sandwich.
- Cut the carbs. Make this a low carb sandwich by using slices of low carb bread.
- Make it dairy free. Swap out the cheese, mayo, and butter for dairy-free alternatives.
To store. Place leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To freeze. Avoid freezing sandwiches as they do not thaw and/or reheat well at all.
Reheating. Reheat the refrigerated grilled cheese in the air fryer or a non-stick skillet.
Frequently asked questions
f you remove the sandwich from the air fryer too soon or cook it at a low temperature, your grilled cheese won’t get crispy. Also, if you overcrowd the air fryer with sandwiches, the crunchy texture will be affected.
Always cook grilled cheeses at a high temperature, around 200C/400F. This allows the exterior to quickly crisp up while keeping the cheese filling gooey.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Next, add half a tablespoon of butter on top of the mayonnaise. This is for the outside of the grilled cheese.
- On one side of two pieces of bread the non-mayonnaise/butter side, add half the mozzarella cheese and half the cheddar cheese on each piece of bread. Place the second piece of bread on each one, mayonnaise/butter side on the outside.
- Preheat the air fryer to 200C/400F.
- Generously spray the air fryer basket and place one sandwich in it. Add two toothpicks to prevent the bread from sticking.
- Air fry for 8-9 minutes, flipping halfway through. Once the exterior is golden, remove it from the air fryer. Repeat the process with the second one.
- Slice the sandwiches in half and enjoy.