Learn how to make Torta, the famous Mexican sandwich that the world is raving about! Filled with seasoned steak, refried beans, and plenty of cheese, it is ready in minutes and a fresh and healthy meal!
The Best Tortas
If you are sick of your lunchtime sandwich, it’s time to throw a Mexican tortas into the mix!
A torta is a Mexican sandwich, sometimes open faced, that contains seasoned steak, mayo, cheese, refried beans, and salad items, all in a crunchy bread roll. It’s pretty much all your favorite taco fix-ins, but instead of serving them in a tortilla, it’s in a roll.
Also known as a Torta Mexicana, we’ve been making them for years. Our family visited Mexico and often enjoyed these for a hearty lunch during our explorations.
Now, we can make them at home and trust me, they are a keeper.
Perfectly seasoned skirt steak stuffed into crusty bread that has been spread with mayonnaise,r refried beans and guacamole… my mouth is watering. Add in some cheese and honestly, you’ll be eating them daily.
The flavors work so perfectly and they take less than 5 minutes to assemble.
We like to prep the skirt steak in advance, but you can use different proteins or omit it completely.
Ingredients needed to make Mexican tortas
Make sure you have the following ingredients in your kitchen to make torta:
- Mayonnaise – The standard spread that is used. We recommend lathering both sides of the bread with it for optimum flavor and extra creaminess.
- Refined beans – The signature ingredient of any good torta. It adds protein, fiber, and a spicy kick.
- Seasoned steak– Tender and pan-fried pieces of steak flavored with taco seasoning.
- Salad vegetables – A mix of tomatoes, onion, and bell peppers. You are welcome to use pico de gallo instead.
- Avocado – Sliced or mashed into a mock guacamole.
- Cheese – Any cheese that melts well is a plus, like cheddar cheese or American cheese. If possible, use a Mexican cheese blend which has a peppery kick to it.
How to make a Mexican Sandwich
Just 3 easy steps and a Mexican torta is ready to serve.
Step 1- Cook the steak
Start by cooking up the beef. In a non-stick pan or skillet, add some oil and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the sliced beef and cook for 3-4 minutes, until no longer pink. Add the taco seasoning, along with 2 tablespoons of water and cook until most of the water is absorbed.
Step 2- Prepare the bread
Next, slice open the bread and spread mayonnaise on top. To the other side, add refried beans, salad vegetables, and avocado. For an extra creamy hit, spread more mayonnaise on top.
Step 3- Assemble and serve!
Finally, add a generous portion of the seasoned beef, followed by the cheese, and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best recipe
Making this Mexican sandwich for the first time? Remember the following tips for success:
- Chop the ingredients into smaller pieces for better filling.
- If you have the time, you can marinate the steak
- If your bread is not naturally crusty on the outside, you can lightly toast it before adding the fillings.
What bread is best for tortas?
There are three main kinds of bread that works best for tortas-
- Telera: Similar to a hoagie bun, these have a crusty exterior and are soft and fluffy in the middle.
- Bollilo: Similar to a Telera, this kind of bread is much softer and is often used in bread pudding. If you use this option, toast them first.
- Birote: Similar to a baguette, birote are often made using a sourdough starter and is a more flavorful option.
Of course, if none of these bread options are available, you can use hoagie rolls, baguettes, or even a hot dog bun.
The beauty of these sandwiches is just how easy they are to customize to your favorite fillings and flavors. Here are some ideas:
- Add different salad vegetables. Fresh lettuce, grated carrots, or even baby spinach.
- Use different protein. Try fajita chicken, chicken breast, or chicken thigh pieces.
- Add other kinds of steak. Want a milder flavored steak? You can use sliced sous vide steak or air fryer steak.
- Swap out the bread. Instead of rolls or crunchy hoagie buns, try using tortillas or sourdough.
- Keep it vegetarian. Skip the meat completely and enjoy it as is.
Storage and make ahead instructions
Torta sandwiches should always be made fresh. However, you can make the steak filling in advance so that when you are ready to eat it
- To store: Store the filling in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled filling in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating- Zap the filling in the microwave for 20-30 seconds until warm.
More Mexican recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
The only difference between the two is that a torta uses key ingredients in it (refried beans and seasoned steak) whereas a sandwich can contain anything and everything.
In some languages, a torta refers to a cake, but not this one!
Tortas Recipe | Authentic Mexican Sandwich
- In a ziplock bag, add the steak and taco seasoning and rub together. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add oil to a non-stick pan and cook the steak for 5-6 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove the meat off the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, slice it up into 1/4-inch slices.
- Halve each of the rolls. Spread mayonnaise on one side of it. To the other side, add your salad vegetables. Add the seasoned steak, followed by the shredded cheese.
- Use a sharp bread knife to cut the sandwiches in half and serve immediately.