This keto guacamole is so smooth, chunky, and creamy, you won’t believe it is low carb! Simple ingredients and perfectly customizable! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
If there is one food that I could eat in unlimited amounts, it would be avocado. I remember the first time I ate avocado and it was in sushi. While I never was a huge fan of sushi, I LOVED the avocado filling. This ignited my love for it, and buying avocados became a staple in my weekly grocery shop. If I’m not eating it on toast or chopping it up in. salad, I love enjoying it as guacamole.
Is guacamole keto?
Contrary to popular belief, traditional guacamole is keto friendly. The carbs in guacamole are minimal, and it’s what people add to it that piles on the extras. If you look at store-bought guacamole, some brands can pack in as much as 20 grams of carbs per serving. Luckily, making your own is SO easy and it contains fewer than 2 grams of carbs!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto guacamole recipe for quite some time. It’s so versatile, delicious, healthy, and filling. It literally takes seconds to make and uses just 3 ingredients. The texture is thick, creamy, with chunks of avocado throughout. It’s salty, savory, and slightly tangy, without being overpowering.
I love having friends over for a Mexican night and making them this guacamole right in front of their eyes- They can’t believe it is secretly keto!
How do you make keto guacamole?
- Avocado– Fresh and overripe avocados.
- Sun dried tomatoes– Gives a subtle and salty kick to it. Avoid using sun dried tomatoes packed in oil.
- Onion– White or red onion can be used.
- Bell peppers– Optional, but gives some color and crunch.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Lime juice– Gives a hit of citrus, without being overpowering.
Start by mashing your avocado until it is mostly smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Serve immediately.
How do I stop the guacamole from turning brown?
The worst part of any recipe using avocado is how quickly it browns. To avoid this guacamole from turning brown too quickly, add an extra squeeze of lime juice over the top of it.
Alternatively, you can add 1/4 inch of water over the top and cover it completely, with no air pockets able to seep through.
Tips to make the best low carb guacamole
- Make the guacamole immediately before serving to avoid it browning out.
- Feel free to add chopped tomato, bell peppers, or other fresh veggies for some added crunch throughout.
- If you’d like an extra smooth and creamy guacamole, blend all the ingredients together.
- For spicy guacamole, add 1/2 large jalapeno pepper to it or drizzle with hot sauce once it has been prepared.
Storing and freezing guacamole
- To store: Guacamole must be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered. It will keep fresh for up to 2 days.
- To freeze: Place leftover guacamole in a freezer friendly container and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Once thawed, you must consume it immediately.
What to serve with guacamole
- 2 large avocados ripe
- 1/4 small onion diced
- 2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 small green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a mixing bowl, add your avocado and mash very well, until mostly smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well, until combined.
- Serve immediately.