This keto taco casserole has all the Mexican flavors you love- slightly spicy, extra cheesy, and super comforting, you won’t miss the carbs! 5 ingredients, minimal prep, and perfect for an EASY and fast dinner!
Keto Taco Casserole
I know I shouldn’t play favorites but Mexican food has to be my favorite cuisine. Ever since I was a small kid, whenever it was my turn to choose what we’d eat, I’d always pick our local Mexican restaurant.
Since starting a keto diet, it’s been easy to incorporate Mexican flavors into my recipes and give keto makeovers to some popular classics. One of my favorite quick lunches is a keto quesadilla and I ALWAYS have some fresh salsa on hand, which I add to almost everything (seriously). Come dinner time, though, I love changing things up, and nothing beats hearty and comforting cassserole.
This keto taco casserole recipe screams comfort food, and it comes together with very little prep. It needs just FIVE main ingredients to make, and it’s the kind of dish you can prepare in advance and freeze to make at a later date!
Now, most keto taco casserole recipes omit the tortillas, as store-bought ones aren’t keto friendly. However, we stay true to the classic dish and use our homemade keto tortillas– It makes it that much more authentic AND looks and tastes like ANY good Mexican casserole out there.
What I love about this dish is just how family friendly it is- For my non-keto folks, they love making it with standard flour or corn tortillas and the kids love dipping their chips and crackers into it.
How do you make a keto taco casserole?
- Olive oil– A flavorful oil to fry the ground beef in.
- Ground beef– The best ground meat to use for Mexican dishes. I prefer using lean ground beef, as it is healthier and doesn’t leave excess oil.
- Taco seasoning– Many taco seasonings contain hidden sugars and/or thickeners, so skip those versions and make your own.
- Salsa– A must for any good taco casserole!
- Keto tortillas– The secret ingredient. While some specialty stores DO sell low carb tortillas, you can easily make your own homemade ones, and they need just 3 ingredients.
- Shredded cheese– Use a Mexican cheese blend, or a mix of tasty and Colby Jack cheeses.
Start by adding the olive oil into a non-stick pan and placing it over medium heat. Once hot, add the beef, break it apart, and cook it until no longer brown. Add the taco seasoning and water and let everything simmer together for 5 minutes. Stir through the salsa at the end.
Next, slice your tortillas in half and place half of them at the base of a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Top with half the seasoned beef mixture and half the shredded cheese. Add the remaining tortilla halves and beef mixture, and cover everything with the remaining cheese.
Now, cover the baking dish with tin foil and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Let the casserole sit for 5 minutes before serving. If desired, add some fun toppings like sour cream and sliced avocado.
- Make it spicy. Add some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes into the ground beef mixture for an extra spicy kick.
- Switch up the protein. For a chicken taco casserole, use shredded chicken breast or ground chicken. Ground turkey will also work very well.
- Make it saucy. Instead of adding water to the meat mixture, add the same amount of tomato sauce (passata).
- Add more vegetables. Add some chopped bell peppers and cauliflower rice to the meat mixture. It will give it extra bulk, texture and nutrients.
- Dress it up with toppings. I love adding a generous serving of sour cream, sliced avocado, and diced tomatoes on top.
Storing, freezing, and reheating keto Mexican casserole
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place portions of the casserole in airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Microwave the casserole in 30-second spurts until warm or in a preheated oven.
What to serve with a taco casserole?
Frequently Asked Questions
There are several brands of tortillas that are lower carb than other ones. You can use those if you prefer.
Easily add cauliflower rice to the actual casserole. If you don’t follow a keto diet, white or brown rice can be used.
Typically, cheddar cheese, Colby Jack, and Pepper Jack cheeses are in a Mexican cheese blend.
Keto Taco Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and set it aside.
- In a non-stick pan, add the olive oil. Once hot, add the ground beef and cook until no longer brown. Remove excess liquid. Add the taco seasoning and water and let it simmer for 5 minutes, until thick. Stir through the salsa.
- Lay half the sliced tortillas into the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half the beef mixture and half the shredded Mexican cheese. Add the remaining sliced tortillas, followed by the beef, then the remaining cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with tin foil and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it for five minutes, before serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.