This creamy taco soup has all the flavors of your favorite tacos all combined in a delicious keto soup! Made with just 6 ingredients, it’s warm, comforting, and takes less than 2 minutes prep!
Keto Taco Soup
If there is one cuisine I could eat in unlimited amounts, it would have to be Mexican food. I swear I have a second stomach when it comes to it. I have to control myself around nachos or I would easily go overboard and whenever I make guacamole, I NEVER share. While I do enjoy making quesadillas and enchiladas, when the cooler months are here, I love myself some taco soup.
This keto taco soup recipe has all the delicious Mexican flavors and textures within a creamy soup. It’s hearty, filling, and sticks to your ribs, and the taco seasoning gives it a spicy kick! The texture is thick and creamy, thanks to the addition of real cream cheese. It’s slightly spicy, meaty, and perfectly hearty, you’ll be full for hours!
What I love about this soup is just how easy is it to make. I usually make it stovetop, but if you own a slow cooker or instant pot, it can be made in those too! Bonus? It needs just 6 ingredients all up.
How do you make keto taco soup?
- Ground beef– I like using lean ground beef, as it doesn’t leave excess juices and you still get the richness from the cream cheese. Either 90/10 ground beef or extra lean ground beef can be used.
- Bell peppers– Freshly chopped red bell peppers.
- Canned diced tomatoes– While freshly chopped tomatoes can also be used, using the canned variety is easier and much cheaper too.
- Beef broth– To thin out the soup and enhances the beefy flavors.
- Taco seasoning– Skip the high carb store bought variety and make your own keto taco seasoning.
- Cream cheese– Gives the soup an extra creamy and rich texture. Chop the cream cheese into bite sized pieces, so it easily mixes in to the soup.
Start by adding the ground beef to a large saucepan or soup pot and place it over medium heat. Brown the beef and remove any excess juices. Next, add the remaining ingredients, except for the cream cheese. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for ten minutes.
Now, add the chopped cream cheese and mix it into the soup until completely smooth. Remove the soup from the heat and serve immediately.
Instant pot or slow cooker option
While I personally find making this soup on the stovetop quick and easy, you can also make it in an instant pot or slow cooker. If you use the slow cooker option, you can add whole chicken breasts and make a chicken taco soup instead!
- Instant pot taco soup– Add all the ingredients, except for the cream cheese into an instant pot. Cook on high for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and add the cream cheese and cover for 10 minutes, before whisking it into the soup.
- Slow cooker taco soup– To the bottom of a slow cooker, add the ground beef (or chicken breasts), followed by the remaining ingredients, except for the cream cheese. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. Remove the lid, add the cream cheese and cover the slow cooker for 10 minutes, to allow it to soften and melt. Whisk everything together before serving.
Tips to make the best recipe
- For a chicken taco soup, you can substitute the ground beef with ground chicken or shredded chicken.
- Use cream cheese from a block, not a spread. This will blend into the soup beutifully and be void of any clumps.
- Serve with soup with some sour cream, shredded cheese, and freshly sliced avocado.
Storing, freezing, and reheating tips
- To store: Leftover soup can be transferred to an air tight container and stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place the cooled soup in a freezer friendly container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the soup in 30-second spurts or in a small saucepan over low heat until warm.
What to serve with creamy taco soup?
Frequently Asked Questions
This taco soup contains a mere 2 grams of net carbs per serving
Creamy Keto Taco Soup (6 Ingredients!)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large bell pepper chopped
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes no sugar added
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 8 oz cream cheese softened and chopped
- In a large soup pot, add the ground beef and place it over medium heat. Brown the beef then remove excess fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the pot, except for the cream cheese. Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped cream cheese and mix it into the soup until completely smooth.
- Transfer into bowls and top with sliced avocado, shredded cheese, finely diced tomato, and cilantro.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.